Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Peeved peepers

Oy, yesterday.

Okay, so I've been dealing with this eye issue for 5 1/2 weeks.  Two days after my allergy testing, I noticed I had what felt like an eyelash in my eye and when there was nothing there, I thought maybe a scratch so I'd give it a few days to heal.  My eye felt gritty and as the week went on, more dry.  I went to the eye doctor and he said I had several styes trying to form (couldn't see them myself), told me to do hot compresses several times a day, use an overnight ointment to keep things moist at night and in a few weeks I should be good to go.  I have been religious about it.  When a doc tells me to do something, I do it.  I'm not one of those people who does something for a few days, sees no change and stops.  He mentioned using baby shampoo to keep things clean so the Mr got some of that for me and I made my own rice bag to heat and keep on my wet washcloth to keep it warm for 10-20 minutes at a time.  At one point, when I just lost all hope and broke down in a heap of snot and tears, the Mr went to Walgreens and got me some lid scrub towelettes and I was doing it in the morning and before bed.

The whole routine left my eyelids torn to shreds.  About 2 1/2 weeks into the treatment, I noticed that I could see open pores in the inner corners of each eye with slight white surrounding it.  I took this as a good sign as it was coming to a head like a blemish.  It seemed to stall a bit and I switched ointments to a gel overnight treatment.  It looked like things were slowly moving along.  Then last week, the Mr was having trouble with his contacts, so he thought.  I jokingly said I hoped he wasn't getting what I had but we weren't told it was contagious or anything.  I thought he would've looked but he didn't.  Then the other day I saw them, he had the exact same styes I had in the inner corners but without having to go through the excruciating and tedious routine I had to endure.  I'll be honest, I was pissed.  I have been sick since December 21st with one thing or another with no break or relief and he gets what I have for one day and its Armageddon and must be dealt with asap, etc.  I kind of wanted to kick him in the nuts after having gone through my crap for 5 1/2 weeks.  But we have a road trip this weekend and I cannot drive with this dry eye being an issue and if he couldn't wear his contacts, he can't see and he hates glasses and didn't have prescription sunglasses, etc.

I told you that to tell you this.

So yesterday was getting him into the eye doc which couldn't be done until 4pm.  He called off work because if he had an infection he didn't want to spread it to co-workers.  We were going to go grab some stuff at the store and I told him he might want to swing by the doctors office and pick up his prescription and we could go to one of those one hour eyeglass places and get those in time.  He went in and a few minutes waved me in.  He was picking out frames and liked these wrap arounds so he wanted my opinion.  I was going to get some new sunglasses but never thought of getting prescriptions so we checked our benefits and bought the frames there and would get the lenses at the other place so we could get some of it covered.

We go to the other place and it's a huge to do to get the info in and by the time we get to entering the Mr's info with his frames and she looks at his prescription and is like "oh."  I had a view of myself in a mirror behind him and I see one of my stress hives starting to form on my forehead.

"Because you have an astigmatism, they have to curve the lens and then you have the curve of the wraparound lens already, we'd have to special order these.  They'd be in in 7-10 days."

Insert stress hive going blood red.  It wasn't pretty.

We tell her no and he was the whole reason we even did this, blah blah blah.  So he calls the doc back and asks if we can return the frames we bought from them and what was going on so he could pick out a flatter frame where we were.  She gives the okay and we pick out frames.  We swing back by the docs so they can start the return and call the insurance company so we don't get a bill for attempted double dipping.  We came home and had lunch, went out to the store we originally wanted to go to and back home to see if they called about the sunglasses to see if we could squeeze in a workout.  Nope.  We putz around for 20 minutes and they call, so back out we went.

Of course there was no parking so I hopped out of the car and ran in to get them.  It took a few because nothing can be simple with us.  We gassed up to kill some time then went back for his 4pm appointment.  We went back and the doc examined him and was surprised to hear I was still having issues.  He said there's obviously something that clogged both of us up and while he's not big on antibiotics, there is one that usually helps with this.  It's both an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory and is usually prescribed for acne which this is kind of like acne in the worst possible place.  I got very nervous because of the crap I was prescribed the 2nd time but he left the room and researched the side effects and this is an old school version, not the newer class that has 80 side effects.  (I wish I was exaggerating)  We'll have to be super vigilant about sunscreen when we're outside or even in the car but I'm praying to God this is what finally does it.  Suffering for almost 6 weeks with this has been a serious test of my sanity.  I just want to be normal again.

Normal for me.

I never mentioned it before now because honestly, I'm not in the mental state to take internet horror stories.

Dinner was orange shrimp over thai lime rice and mixed veggies.

Our workout was WATP Firm 30.

Looking around, I should probably get to cleaning soon.  Oy.  It never ends, y'all.

Recently had a day or minor illness chew you up and spit you out?

Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )


  1. Any day where both of us end up with antibiotics prescribed is an interesting day to say the least. I have hope that it helps. You've suffered long enough and the home remedies just haven't helped on this one.

    1. I pray this is finally what clears this crap up. I am tired of dealing with this especially when I'm doing everything right and seeing no real progress. I really do not want this to be my new normal.

  2. Dinner looked good. I'm not a fan of shrimp, but I love orange chicken. We had leftover home-made pot pie from Sunday.

    When I got styes as a kid I always used a warm tea bag and it helped. I don't know if they healed faster, but it always made it feel better. I can't believe that it's taken this long for your issues to clear up and that now you're both on anti-biotics. That's definitely a cruddy day.

    1. I had a sty or two when I was younger but they were always the ones that were big and hurt. These are microscopic (I could feel them before they were ever visible to me and I've never had multiples). So because of their size, they can take a lot long to clear up. I would've thought by now but I'm praying the meds will kick it out for good. Not my first choice but I'm desperate at this point. :-\

  3. My 2-week UTI just about did me in. I'm a paranoid freak now with every twitch or spasm I feel. I hate, hate, hate that infection. I can handle yeast infections better than UTI's! My other minor issue is nagging pain in the back of my knee that just aches and aches. When I recline and extend my knee it's so uncomfortable. No sharp pains, just a constant dull ache. I'm very careful about the shoes I wear to work to make sure I have excellent support, but once I'm home...whooo weee it throbs.


Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)