Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tropical Butternut Squash Soup

I started seeing butternut squash popping up and I got a hankering.  Well I don't know if it can be called a hankering since I've never actually had it but I'll say I got an itch to experiment.  I see those boxed soups all the time and I even buy some of them but ya see, I have an emulsion blender that has been sitting all alone in the basement just waiting to make something delicious just for us.  Meet something delicious...


This soup is smooth as velvet, full of subtle flavors of the coming season and a few you might not expect.  It's one of those soups that gives your tummy a big hug from the inside.  Fall is just around the corner but the chilly morning temps have made me crave soup something fierce.  Here's what you'll need to make mine.

Tropical Butternut Squash Soup
(Makes 4 servings)
Click here for printable recipe

1 butternut squash
1 can Trader Joe's (or comparable) Light Coconut Milk
1 cup Trader Joe's Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 cup crush pineapple, in juice
1 tbsp olive oil
Lemongrass (optional)
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Ginger
Cumin
White pepper
Orange peel/zest
Salt (optional- I prefer to let people salt their own if they feel they need it)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

With a corn cob holder (or fork), poke the squash several times.


Put it in the microwave for 60 seconds.  This will make it easier to cut.


Cut squash in half.


Like so.


Remove the seeds.


Hello loverlies.


Time to season up.  Brush (or spray if you're using a Misto) 1 tbsp of olive oil on the flesh of the squash.  Then add nutmeg, cinnamon, orange peel, ginger and white pepper


Give a 13x9 baking dish a spray of cooking spray and place the squash cut side down in the pan.


Bake for 45 minutes and until nice and roasted.


Flip it over and let it cool for a few minutes.


Time to let the other folks in on the party.


In a large stock pot on medium heat, add the pineapple, coconut milk and lemongrass.  Let it cook for about 5 minutes while you get to other business...


...like scooping out the innards of the squash and add to the coconut milk.


Add your cup of chicken broth.


It won't look very appetizing at first.


But add your spices to your liking (I used all of the spices again except the orange peel) and let it have a flavor party (cook) for about 10 minutes.


Once everything has gotten all good and bubbly, it's time to whip out the stick blender (or food processor) and get to blending.


When you're done, it should look smooth, velvety and ready to get in your belly.


The Mr and I were in a soupy food coma after eating this filling tummy warmer.


It could also be used as a pasta sauce.  Toss it with gnocchi or tortellini and pair it with a nice flavorful protein!

Nutritional information (per serving):  Calories 155  Total Fat 8g  Sat Fat 4g  Mono Fat 3g  Sodium 52mg Potassium 291mg  Total Carbs 23g  Fiber 4g  Sugars 9g  Protein 1g  Vitamin A 144%  Vitamin C  38%  Calcium 4%  Iron 5%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)




This recipe was also shared at Gingersnap Crafts and The Shabby Creek Cottage

13 comments:

  1. ooh..thanks for the share...yum..I like the touch of pineapple. i need to make this one of these days...

    Manasa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks so good. I love soups but hate the sodium. I am not one for making this stuff from scratch but I am definitely going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy! And even better, it looks easy. Little guy doesn't like squash but he loves soup so I bet I can trick him. (I think it's a texture/appearance thing not a flavor thing). I'll definitely be trying this one soon.

    I found light coconut milk at my local Safeway that I can buy by the 1/2 gallon. It's like 80 calories for an 8oz serving, 2 TBSP is an ounce and I use about 1-2 TBSP in my coffee instead of creamer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. yum. Looks awesome. And of course I was at TKs yesterday and looked at that light coconut milk and decided no. When to schedule me next 5 hour trip? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tip to microwave it before cutting it! It had never occured to me to do that and cutting it up is always the reason I resist making butternut squash. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.my.goodness! That looks heavenly. I LOVE soup but sadly, the hubs does not. He will eat whatever I make but I don't make as much soup as I would like. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made butternut squash soup earlier this year. I'd never had the squash either but it has a great taste. My recipe didn't have pineapple but I could see how that would be good. I'll have to give this one a go!

    Since I had so much squash, I also made butternut squash mac and cheese. It was AMAZING!! The recipe is on pinterest. You can make it lower cal with the types of cheese you use, adding more veggies (I added mushrooms), and using whole wheat pasta. Great as a main dish and so yummy! Give it a look up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is not much that I love more than butternut squash. That bugger is so versitile and yummy. I absolutely adore butternut squash soup, but usually take the curry route. Mostly 'cause I lovee curry...big time major-lol. Your version has me hoping and praying the temps drop quick so that soup will be possible soon. Sounds like a version even my kids might get behind. And, maybe, I'll shake a little teeny bit of curry in mine-lol. I can see myself subbing coconut milk in my regular version too. Milk (1%) in the regular, water for low fat, but coconut milk for super yummy!! Soon....very, very soon :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have I told you lately 'I LOVE YOU"?!

    I cannot wait to try this... AND I can manipulate these igredients into a CHOPPED box so my girl will be excited to try ingredients she normally balks at (cooked squash)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds wonderful and low cal. I have never been much of a fan of squash, but I think I might try it! It's especially intriguing that you suggest it as a pasta sauce as well. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a butternut squash that I've been thinking about making into soup. They last forever, you know. But I've never been a fan of coconut milk (gasp!) or canned pineapple, so thanks for the inspiration, but I'm gonna go a more traditional route.

    ReplyDelete
  12. O.......M.....GEEEEEEEE

    I have a simple butternut squash recipe, but it calls for a lot of heavy cream. I've replaced it with fat free half and half and it's still good, but not the original. However, I love this tropical version...gonna give this a whirl this fall when we get butternut squash in our produce basket. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love butternut squash--one of my favorite things about fall! Squash! I get bored of the typical butternut squash soup, so I love the tropical spin you put on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)