Thursday, March 8, 2012

Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onions & Bacon

When I decided to try brussels sprouts a few months ago, I had no idea they would become a regular character in our cart.  I think if you'd told the sprout phobic Mr (because of improper prep as a kid) that he'd not only eat them but like them as well, he would've laughed in your face.  I love these babies and I thought I'd share my favorite way to eat them.



Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onion & Bacon
(Serves 2)

14 brussels sprouts
1 cup onion, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 slice Trader Joe's Center Cut Uncured Bacon
1 tbsp Trader Joe's Parmesan Romano Blend

First prepare the caramelized onions.  Cut a large onion into slices, toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp of olive oil and put in a skillet over low heat for one hour, stirring every 10 minutes.

When there is 20 minutes left on the onions, cut the ends off of each sprout and cut in half.  Peel off any loose or excess leaves as they will burn as they cook.  I like to use an indoor grill pan but you can use a regular skillet.

Put a spray or two of cooking spray in the skillet and sprinkle some coarse black pepper.  Place the sprouts cut side down for about 10 minutes then cover to let steam until caramelized or slightly soft.

Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to the skillet with the sprouts.  Cover until bacon is fully cooked.  Add caramelized onions to sprouts and stir to combine.

Plate the sprouts and sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp of parmesan romano blend per serving.


You know you want some.

Nutritional Information per serving:  Calories 174  Total Fat 10g  Sat Fat 2g  Poly Fat 1g Mono Fat 5g  Cholesterol 8mg  Sodium 115mg  Potassium 608mg Total Carbs 17g  Fiber 6g  Sugars 3g  Protein 7g  Vitamin A 20%  Vitamin C 195%  Calcium 10%  Iron 9%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

21 comments:

  1. They do look VERY yummy. I'll have to admit, I have yet to try them but if I can master your technique, I'm ready to give them a go. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want some. This is definitely going to be tried by me, cause when I went to the grocery store last week, I bought a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts and some fresh ones. Now I know how to fix 'em. THANKS!
    Those carmelized onions are going to come in handy as a new condiment/topping at my house I'm thinking. Appreciate you sharing your cooking methods and recipes! Can't wait to fix those sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to admit that they look yummy, although I'm concerned about the cooking time the sprouts go through. I like mine just steamed for about 10 minutes, but I definitely like the caramelized onions and bacon idea. So I'll try them, and if the sprouts are too cooked for me, I'll adapt it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how you like them ladies. These turned out sooo good!

    Cheri- Cook time is appropriate for nice big sprouts. Wimpy one will obviously require less cook time. These were slightly soft with a crunch for good measure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been able to gag them down. Will give them one more try with this recipe. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are purty! But I don't like bacon (I know, I know).

    Love me some brussels sprouts, though! Never even tried them until I was about 25...I was missing out for so long! My mom was not a fan, unfortunately for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So trying those!!! They look DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big bacon person - or onions. But I like them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and roasted in the oven. Or, on the grill - which is how I've been making them lately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, I think even I might like brussel sprouts fixed this way! Anything's better with bacon and onions, right? Thanks, might give this one a try tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, Maren. No can do the sprouts. I tried one earlier this year and I still haven't gotten over it. :)

    But I'm glad YOU like them, because they're super good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And that would be 'MRS', not Maren. Sheesh....

    Now I wonder if something's wrong with Maren. Why did my subconscious type her name?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK - you've tempted me... I don't think I've EVER had them before because I think they will be nasty...

    Your version looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my god that picture looks so great, you really captured the food! I can almost smell it, I can almost taste it! And I can guarantee you that I am going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! YES! I love Brussels sprouts! I always thought I hated them, but that's because my mom would boil them (yes, boil!) until they turned grayish and mushy. Oh man, they were so gross. But when you roast them or saute them, they are completely different. I always tell people who think they hate them to try them that way.

    That picture is gorgeous, BTW. You should submit it to FoodGawker, if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't had Brussels sprouts since childhood. Will try this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to see so many people willing to try them or like them already! Preparation makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at brussels!!! I love your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohkeeka- Trust me, I tried. They turned me down not once but twice. PFFFT! Nothing builds a gals confidence more than rejection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alright, I'm taking the plunge and making these for my husband today (he says he hates them, but I think he has just never had them prepared properly.) My question is this: should I prepare this using a cast iron skillet, a non-stick skillet, or a stainless steel skillet? Or does it even matter? Please let me know. I've got a pot roast in the crockpot for dinner tonight and this would be the perfect side for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use any of them, just make sure for the initial sear you've got it on medium high for 1-2 minutes then you can turn it down to medium. I've done a little cheat since this printing where I put the brussels covered in the microwave for 3 minutes then add them to the skillet for about 5 minutes. It gets them slightly softer (but not mushy) and I like the texture better. Caramelized onions makes everything better (or roasted garlic if you want to go that route!) Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Great tips - thanks! I haven't told him what I'm making yet - but after he smells the caramelized onions and bacon, I know he will be game to try this dish.

      By the way, PLEASE keep sharing these amazing recipes. I have a folder in my email that I save all of these so I can pull them out and make when I get the chance. So far, I've loved every single one that I have tried, and some of them have inspired me to be adventurous and eat foods I would have never tried on my own. You are and amazing cook and I'm learning a lot from you! :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)