Thursday, February 2, 2017

Food Review: Drew's Roasted Garlic and Peppercorn Dressing

Since I'm getting in more salads lately, I wanted to have another dressing option.  I had an idea that I wanted to like a Buffalo chicken salad so I was looking for a lower sodium ranch like dressing.  I happened upon this and it seemed to fit the bill.



The nutritional info shows that while it is higher in fat, it's the beneficial fat and the sodium is very good especially for a ranch-like dressing.  It's amazing it has no sugar!


I put 5 ounces of spring mix in a big bowl and used 2 tbsp of dressing and gave it a toss.


Unfortunately for that amount of roughage, two tbsp wasn't going to cut it so I added another 1/2 tbsp.  As you can see, it looks like there's no dressing on it at all.  It looks nothing like a Caesar or a typical ranch dressing like you see in restaurants because we're all kind of conditioned that if you can't see it, it's not there.  I assure you, it was.


I took a bite and I immediately knew what was in there...balsamic vinegar.  My nemesis.  I guess I should've looked at the ingredients before I bought it.  I just assumed it was ranch-like due to the consistency.  It's not like it was gross but the balsamic flavor is too strong for me.  So if you like balsamic, you're gonna love it.  I know the Mr will finish it off no problem but I'll probably give it a pass.  It's a great option for people who want a non-GMO, dairy free and vegan dressing.

Here's a peek at the ingredients:  ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Cider Vinegar, Water, Dijon Mustard (Organic Grain Vinegar, Water, Mustard Seed, Salt, Spices, Turmeric), Roasted Garlic, Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic, Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Basil, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate.

What's your favorite Ranch like dressing?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

5 comments:

  1. Of course I absolutely love it and I WILL indeed be finishing that bad boy off with my lunch salads. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the Bolthouse Farms ones?

    They're in the produce section in the fridge case.
    They have a ranch one, it might be higher sodium than you want but I need a higher sodium intake due to my running and losing vision upon standing lol

    http://www.bolthouse.com/products/dressings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ranch. In my world there is ranch and not ranch. I usually make my own with the powder packet and light/fat free mayo and skim milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do what Another Layer (above) does except I use buttermilk with my lite mayo. I figure the ranch dressing/dip at about 42.5 calorie/tablespoon. Buttermilk is surprisingly low in calories (120 for a whole cup). I hate to brag, but this is what I ate a lot of as I lost 178 lbs. and and still use today, I'll soon starting my 7th year of maintenance (with some ups and downs here and there).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah! I cannot stand the taste of balsamic vinegar! I love red wine vinegar, apple cider, and even white, but balsamic is just gross to me. I've tried and tried and can't do it. I think it's great this one doesn't have sugar though, so that's a good thing. I've been digging on Marzetti's Simply Dressed Light Ranch: http://www.marzetti.com/salad-dressings/simply-dressed/light-ranch

    And their Light Caesar dressing is the only Caesar dressing I like.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)