Friday, March 16, 2012

Food Journal Friday - 3/12 thru 3/16

Alright y'all, it's time for the first annual Food Journal Friday or FJF when I'm feeling lazy.

It's been a week full of some decent variety so let's eat!

Let's start off with a really great breakfast oatmeal combo I had earlier that I just fed the Mr this morning and he LOVED it.  1/2 cup quaker oats with 4 oz skim milk, 1 tbsp water, 1 banana, 1/2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp Better N' Peanut Butter, 1/2 tbsp mini chocolate chips and 1 section of a graham cracker crumbled on top.  Calories:  420.


It was SOOOO good.  It tastes like eating dessert for breakfast and it keeps you full for a long time.  My new fave.  Breakfasts and lunches after that were pretty standard.  Veggies, fruits, bars and rotating entrees of tuna tacos, turkey sandwich and the like.  Let's move on to dinners.


Monday was whole wheat penne pasta with a half and half mix of my favorite meat sauce and half low salt marinara and 1 tbsp of parmesan cheese.  We also had an amazing arugula salad but you'll have to wait for Tuesday for the recipe for this filling yummy salad!  Total calories  657.



Tuesday was a new recipe I tried and I'll be posting it in the near future.  Red snapper with barley and orzo with a side of brussels sprouts (not pictured).  It was quite yummy!  Calories:  569




Wednesday was one of the Mr's favorites, BBQ chicken naan pizza.  2.5 oz of chicken, hummus, bbq sauce, scallions and cheese with a side of russet potato wedges with Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning.  Calories: 652


Thursday was TJ's white ruffy over lemon pepper alfredo with roasted garlic.  I don't know what the deal is but TJ's white ruffy has tasted really bad lately so I'm taking the last package of it we have back on Sunday.  The texture has gotten dry and it's not appealing so I'll have to replace it with salmon.  Better for my cholesterol anyway.  Calories:  696



Tonight's dinner was mexican stuffed shells and the recipe will be coming but suffice it to say, it was quite yummy!  Calories:  804


Last night's dessert was different.  We're annual Walmart shoppers.  We go once a year because we just can't deal with the 'people of Walmart' and I somehow talked myself into those little sponge cakes for strawberry shortcake (which I don't like) but I made my own twist on them.  The first one above is a sponge cake, a container of sugar free chocolate pudding, way too much cool whip lite and 1/2 tbsp of mini chocolate chips.  Calories: 200



Tonight's was a little experiment that turned out quite well.  I took 1 cup of fresh diced pineapple and added 2 oz of orange mango juice with a hit of vietnamese cinnamon and cooked it down until it was soft and reduced.   Then 2 tbsp of cool whip lite.  It was YUMMY!  Calories 175

Calories for the week by day:

Monday: 2281
Tuesday: 2197
Wednesday: 2472
Thursday: 2025
Friday: 2202

My average is a little less than the 2300 but that's okay, it's still upping my calories so yes, I stuck with that this week.  Fingers crossed on the scale tomorrow!

I hope the food was worth waiting for!

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

7 comments:

  1. wow, how many different plates do you own? All looks terrific, you are so creative. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love white ruffy ( I buy it as BASA at Safeway) and have never had tj's. I have also never had any that I didn't like so I'm glad you are taking it back. Thanks for the photos...I have missed seeing all your food and I wanna try the Mexican shells, look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shortcake desserts and the Mexican shells looked particularly enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be waiting for that Tuesday night recipe!! I don't know if I like Red Snapper but I do enjoy seafood so I bet I would. VERY interested in the barley/orzo salad!!! I just love me some whole grains and add pearled barley, bulgar, quinoa or brown rice serving daily, in addition to the morning oats! (Should have googled "Is rice a grain?")
    I also need to get brave with the Brussels... did you try a new recipe?
    FJF rocked this week. Loved the two fish nights - we try for at least two as well! Bummer about the orange roughy, I'd bring it back too. My MIL gets that all the time, so I've had hers but for some reason haven't picked any up myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I will be waiting" as in, NO PRESSURE!! Whenever you get to recipes is fine. I know you have a lot going on! Just seeing the combinations gets my creative thinking going, and I thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been experimenting with more meatless meals, so I too will be watching for that grains salad recipe. Although come to think of it, orzo is a pasta, right? I will have to stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and go 'lalalala' when you give the Mexican stuffed shells recipe...pretty sure that won't fit in my calorie range unless it's the only thing I have that day. Not happenin', but it looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of these Friday posts! Plus I feel like I have looked into the future, and know that it works out for you (calorie upping)! I like that part!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)