Monday, November 27, 2017

Holiday weekend round up

Hey Y'all...I'm posting which means no bail money required after this holiday weekend!  Woot!

Thanksgiving was actually pleasant! There were occasional minor irritations by the expected ones but certainly nothing that was worth giving a second thought to and it was the first time I felt like I was almost walking into holidays past.  Obviously, sans Grandma's wonderful hugs and smiles to greet us but there was no air of stress when we walked in, no one arguing or visibly wound up.  All of the food was good and while the noodles were appreciated, they probably needed another five minutes of boil time to be like Grandma's.  I had to laugh because my aunt asked how did I know they were done and I said "taste one!"  LOL  She said she can't tell the difference.  They were a little al dente but still good.  I was glad we got some leftover noodles, we haven't gotten any the past few years.  The Mr headed to bed around 11pm and I was waiting for midnight to see if any carted items would magically discount and fell asleep for 30 minutes.  I awoke at 12:15am to a nice inner thigh cramp, so that was a sucky alarm.  No discounts for my stuff so I started on this post, did a few other work things and decided I needed some freezer room so I threw two roasts in the freshly cleaned crock pot and then looked at the dutch oven bombs all over the kitchen and decided I didn't want to start my Friday looking at that crap.  So I soaked 4 pots while I loaded the dishwasher then washed all of the pots and let them dry and finally headed to bed around 2:15am but didn't stop clock watching until 3am.

Friday was spent trying to de-bloat from my food coma.  I made some dandelion root tea and added some fresh peeled ginger and turmeric.  Boy, that was sludgy toward the end.  I skipped seconds on food for seconds on pie on Thursday.  Damn, my apple crumb pie is good.  HA!  I got to Food Saving a lot of stuff including beef roasts that I made and divided up for us to have on nights I was not feeling it over the upcoming holidays.  My bestie is coming in from out of town the day after Christmas so it will be nice to have beef roast, and mashed potatoes already done and just need to be thawed and reheated.  The only thing I'll probably make from scratch that day is pumpkin ginger beer bread unless I decide to totally tank a big dinner and just order pizza.  Who knows how I'll feel the day after Christmas but that's at least the plan.  We got the tree up and lights on.  We both think it may be time to replace it.  She was purchased back in 1995 at Kmart for $80 at an after Christmas sale so we'd have it when we got married the next year.  Same with our ornaments but they're holding up well.  We've got about 6 branches that are getting ready to unravel from the back.  We'll see how they hold up when being boxed back up in January.  We were looking at Balsam Hill (unlit- we're particular about our lights) but we've read both good and bad so if anyone has one, let me know what you think.

Saturday I got "rewarded" with a 3 lb gain but I wasn't surprised because croissant class was a week ago and then Thanksgiving so the debloat tea was for nothing.  Pffft.  We watched some ball, I fell asleep the entire second half and we waited around for my new laptop to be delivered. I'm thinking if they're shipping out your computer that it'd be nice if they could, I don't know, send you a notice that you're going to have to be trapped at the house all day waiting for it.  I mean it was 5pm and it wasn't even here so I finished decorating the tree to kill some time.  The thought of moving all of my crap from this laptop to the other makes me cringey.   Well turns out we were hostages for nothing, it's not actually arriving here until Tuesday despite saying Saturday.  Oh... well thanks.  I went ahead and put up a small tree we bought off of a friend of ours who closed their business earlier this year.  It was the perfect size to display all of our travel ornaments. 



Sunday, we had our Thanksgiving leftovers and chilled a little.  I suppose we should've gotten going earlier because we started doing the cleaning we've been putting off and I decorated the rest of the house.  Before we knew it, it was 5pm and we decided to go ahead and do our workout and eat dinner.  Then it was off to TJ's, Target and two grocery stores.  We didn't get home until 9:45pm which meant the weekend was over. 

How was your weekend?  Anyone have a Balsam Hill tree that wants to weigh in on it?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

14 comments:

  1. It was a pleasant Thanksgiving visit with family, for a welcome change. The only downside to the day itself is just how little we get to actually enjoy the day off. Now it's time to remind ourselves to slow down when we can and enjoy this holiday season before it gets away from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I worked my tookus off from 9am-4pm (when we were supposed to be there) except for 30-45 minutes. Day off my azz!

      Delete
  2. Great news on your holiday!
    I got the outside lights up and that was about it. I Did order myself a dyson vacuum. Tapping my foot for updates, I hate usps deliveries. Have a wonderful week,tis your season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey the lights can be half the battle! Ooh, let me know how you like the vacuum! I think they torture you with no updates. My laptop said tomorrow was delivery day and it came today...when I may have been out but thankfully wasn't.

      Delete
  3. I had the whole week off, and it was a much needed break. I'm back to the grind today. I spent a good chunk of the week at my folks' house, and then when I got back I did some necessary chores around the house, but not nearly as much as I should have. That's always the way it seems. I have an inexpensive artificial tree from an after Christmas sale, so no weighing in on Balsam Hill. This year though I saw some small real trees for like $20 at the grocery store. I have a young cat that I know will destroy the tree anyway, so I think I'm going to go that route this year. Small tree and minimal, durable ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you got a nice break! Hey, that's a good plan of attack for Christmas surviving the wee kitteh!

      Delete
  4. What a busy weekend you had! My weekend was pretty good with running a few errands, but stayed home for the most part. Didn't do any decorating (the hubs did put lights on the deck a couple of days before Thanksgiving and I had put my sweet Peanuts gang in the garden, but that's it so far), but did manage to get through more "stuff" on my kitchen table and did a lot of online stuff. Still piles of crap everywhere, but I feel like I'm on top of a few things, so I'm glad for that. I was supposed to have therapy this morning but no one was there. I've emailed her to see if I missed something somewhere along the line. And of all times when I really needed to talk! LOL It's supposed to be 60 degrees here today and I'm looking forward to getting a lot of errands done and my car washed (I'll be scrubbing the back rear inside window with dish soap because it's a grimy mess).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Productivity on any front is a plus! I hope you got stuff straightened out with the therapist.

      Delete
  5. Your weekend sounds busy! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving; half-heartedly went Black Friday shopping (no big deals though) on Saturday & Sunday we basically didn't move much from the couch watching cheesy Hallmark Channel Christmas movies and complaining about them. LOL (I do love them though--cheese & all.) It was a much-needed SLUGFEST that we enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen many deals either. Womp womp. I watched The Christmas Train today but my favorite is A Crown for Christmas. The rest are pretty predictable aren't they? LOL

      Delete
  6. We get a real tree every year - got it all decorated and the house completely decorated this weekend! Yay! I follow another blog where they did a review on a Balsam Hill tree - it was horrible! She posted pics - and it cost her $700!!! She returned it and wrote a review for the BH website - which they had not published last I read. (In case you are interested, the blog is Between Naps on the Porch.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few years back I ordered a tree from Balsam Hill.....big mistake!! Mine too was expensive and I was shocked to find it was plastic almost like rubber. Returned it and the return shipping was on me...almost $100 as it was bulky and heavy. Needless to say it was a lesson learned even at my age. I like a flocked tree and got one from Amazon. It is lovely, even if I do say so myself!! Tell me how to send a picture and I will if you want. Christmas is special and everything just has to be right for a whole lot of reasons. Glad your Tday was a good one this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your input! The more I keep reading the more I'm thinking nope. :-\ Stinks though because they are beautiful. I see more problems with the lit ones than unlit but still. You can email me mrs{at}successalongtheweigh{dot}com

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)