Thursday, November 15, 2012

Figgy Sweet Potato Pie

Guys, I am so excited about this recipe, I can barely stand it.  (Which is probably the kiss of death for its popularity...*rolling eyes*)  Remember when I did these Sweet Figgy Potatoes?  Well, I loved the taste of them so much I thought, dang, that would be awesome as a pie!  I was right...





...if I do say so myself.

This pie has the taste of a sweet potato or pumpkin pie with the depth of that awesome fig butter/spread that just takes it to another level.  Of course I lightened it up as much as I could without sacrificing taste.  This shaves anywhere from 100-150 calories off of traditional sweet potato pie per slice!  I think this might be my new favorite pie!

I made the sweet potato puree from scratch because well, that's my job but you could totally use canned if you don't have the time to roast, peel and puree.  World Market carries Farmers Market Organic Sweet Potato puree AND Dalmatia Fig Spread so get thee there if there's no Trader Joe's nearby and let's get your new favorite Thanksgiving pie underway.


Figgy Sweet Potato Pie
8 servings

Here's what you'll need:

1 Pillsbury Deep Dish frozen pie crust
2 big sweet potatoes, roasted and pureed*
4 egg whites
1/3 cup Trader Joe's fig butter*
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
12 oz Carnation fat free evaporated milk
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice

If you're roasting in the love, start here.  If you're going with canned puree, skip down toward the end of the sweet potato section.

Poke your sweet potatoes with a corn cob holder and microwave for 3 minutes to make them easier to cut.



Cube the sweet potatoes in large chunks with the skin on.


Put the sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet with a Silpat or sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkle some cinnamon on top.


Roast for about 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven or until fork tender.


While you're waiting for the sweet potatoes to cool, poke the bottom and sides of the thawed pie crust and bake for 10-13 minutes in the oven.  When the crust is done, reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees.


About 3-5 minutes after coming out of the oven, peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes.


Put the sweet potatoes in your blender or food processor and puree them until smooth.


Put your puree in a large bowl and get your ingredients ready for the party.


Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and whisk together until combined well.


I like to add my spice once it's all come together so it incorporates easier.


Pour the mixture into your baked pie crust.


Place your pie on a cookie sheet to catch any unfortunate mishaps in waiting.  Shouldn't have that problem with this pie but it makes it easier to put in and out of the oven without disturbing the pie.


Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes.


Hello beautiful!


Move the pie to a rack to cool for 30 minutes.  Tip:  If you have a long turner spatula (like for fish), it provides great support to move the pie from the sheet to the rack so you don't crack your pie or crust!


Once it's cooled, time to cut a slice and dig in baby!


Nutritional Information per slice:  Calories 237  Total Fat 5g  Sat Fat 1g  Sodium 177mg  Potassium 407mg Total Carbs  43g  Fiber 2g Sugars 27g  Protein 7g  Vitamin A  54%  Vitamin C 11%  Calcium 15%  Iron 6%

Nutritional Information per slice using recommended canned puree:  Calories 250  Total Fat 5g Sat Fat 1g  Cholesterol 2mg  Sodium 214mg  Potassium 205mg  Total Carbs 46g  Fiber 2g Sugars 29g  Protein 8g

This recipe was linked up with Beyond the Picket Fence and The Crafty Blog Stalker.
====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. Prefer social media? I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

14 comments:

  1. I have never had sweet potato pie before and wasn't sure what to expect but wow! It was so delicious and the fig gives it that extra little kick of flavor too. My co-workers thought it was pumpkin pie at first and started digging in and when I told them what it was they were pleasantly surprised. Every last piece of that pie was gobbled up pretty quickly and the pieces were even cut really small. Great job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep basically tastes the same as pumpkin pie on it's own but man that fig butter gives it a wonderful taste. I'm SOOO glad I experimented with that!

      Delete
  2. Can you just come to my house and cook for me? My "want to try" pile is growing by the day and most of those recipes are yours. Maybe because of all the recipes of your that I've tried I haven't been disappointed even once? Yeah, probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Aww, so glad the stuff I post is making it to your 'want to try' pile and I'm glad so far none of them have disappointed! WOO HOO!

      Delete
  3. What time should I be over for Thanksgiving? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I'd much rather have a friends Thanksgiving this year. Ours is showing potential to be cringeworthy. (But I suppose that's part of the holidays, isn't it?)

      Delete
  4. OOOOOh, this looks good! I do love my grandmother's pumpkin pie recipe, but it unfortunately makes two huge deep-dish pies, and with only two of us to eat it...

    So this looks like a really delicious substitute that I'm totally going to try. And easy, too. Just hope I can find a World Market for the fig butter, since we don't have a Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this makes one good big ol' pie and its sooo good. Here's a store locator for World Market. I think there's one near you if you are where I think you are.

      http://www.worldmarket.com/store-locator/landing.do

      Delete
  5. That looks mouth-wateringly delish but alas, we live in the boonies and have no TJ's or World Market nearby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude I drive 90 minutes for a good pizza. Load up the kids and go on a road trip! LOL

      Delete
    2. Yeah but my closest is 3 hours--that's a bit harder to swallow with the kiddos. I have, however re-connected with a friend who lives there recently so I have an excuse to go when life stops swirling crazily...

      Delete
  6. We are on quite the same wavelength today! This looks incredible!!! Perfect for turkey day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pie is so beautiful--how did you get all perfect like that?! Dang, this looks so freaking good. It seriously looks like you bought this from a bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That has got to be one of the most gorgeous pies I have ever seen! I mean, it's perfect! I love the addition of figs too! I love them so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)