Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Good girlfriends are truly the best

Yesterday was a great day.

I have a friend who has a crazy hectic schedule and any time I am able to get any amount of time with her, I'm so grateful.  I bought her a little gift and told her if her schedule didn't allow time to get together, I totally understood.  Thankfully she had a day off and we were able to have lunch together.

I made a nice, big chef salad for us...


Fruits, veggies and lots of protein for my strength workout later.

She's about 12 years younger than I am and we like to go deep on the conversation fronts.  I can't tell you how refreshing that is because so many people don't want to do that anymore.  We, as a society, barely communicate face to face anymore much less sit down for 5 hours having heart to hearts with people who are important to us.  She wanted my advice on a life issue she's going through right now and the Mr and I both told her the same thing without ever consulting with each other.  It is of course different from what immediate family want from her but in the end, she would be happier with our advice.  She's a people pleaser and that's fine but not for this situation.  I could tell she needed someone who would back up her gut instinct and we made it clear she should trust it.

Among the many things we talked about, I told her how it is important to have girlfriends of different ages in her life.  I have always had friends older than me and been more comfortable talking to them because I know they have life experience.  I told her those women will help prepare you for life after marriage and help you see the things that are truly important vs. the things you do to please others who rarely end up being pleased anyway.  It's important to have girlfriends younger than you are as well because they can help remind you to have fun, throw caution to the wind sometimes in your regimented life or to look at things in new ways.  Obviously having friends your own age is good too but I made it clear that you may also outgrow each other and that's okay.  We talked about people who drop out of your life for no reason and sometimes you never get answers as to why.  It's so often about what others are going through and has nothing to do with you.  That doesn't make it any easier to take though.

We laughed.  We cried.  We ate.  We hugged.  It was a good day.

What are three things you love most about the girlfriend you can tell anything to?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

2 comments:

  1. Well since my girlfriend happens to be you I will try to narrow down to 3 things I love most: 1) Selfless and thoughtful. 2)Beautiful inside and out. 3) Smart and Sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day you had! So glad you got to spend quality time together. Most of my friends are older that I am, and some by a good degree and I love that. I do have some friends younger than I am and it's been fascinating to see them grow and change as time has gone one. I'd say my favorite three things are: 1. I can come as I am, no makeup or nice clothes required. 2. Deep, brutally honest conversations. And 3. Stupid non-stop laughter when we need it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)