Monday, February 5, 2018

Halo Top: Dairy Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup

I wasn't much in the mood for ice cream but when you get a free pint courtesy of your grocery store, you jump on it.  We got this specific flavor because protein ice cream ALWAYS misses the mark for me so if I was ever going to try Halo Top's version of chocolate, it was going to be free.  Now that I've set the high expectations I went in with, let's get to it!



Here's a peek at the nutritional info:



Oh boy, there's that beige looking stuff companies try to pass off as chocolate.  I'm getting nervous.



Okay, at least there's peanut butter in there to temper it so even if the chocolate is bad, we've got this potential saving grace.  (I accidentally typed grave the first time instead of grace, is that an omen?)



So how did it taste?



When we first dug into it, I disliked it so much I almost threw it away.  Then the Mr reminded me that it suggests letting it melt a little to get more creamy so we waited about 4 minutes before going back in.  It did improve the texture quite a bit and it was more creamy and this is true with basically any "healthy" ice cream like this so just remember to let it thaw for about 5 minutes before scooping it out.  (Unless you're going through a breakup, then all bets are off.)

While the texture improved, the taste did not.  I do not understand why companies like this don't add even a little extra cocoa powder for more chocolate taste.  I know you can't add too much because then it'll taste bitter since there isn't a lot of sugar to counter it but there's a reason the chocolate based ones are always in abundance on the shelf.  The peanut butter was a funky texture but still pretty good, kind of like knock-off Reese cup peanut butter in there.  But the more I let it melt in my mouth, another flavor began to seep in....coconut milk.  I got up and checked the label.  Yep, we got the dairy-free version and didn't know it!  It didn't say it anywhere on the label.  *rolling eyes*



Whoops.

I remember seeing that on all of the flavors we were looking at in that case so they must keep dairy free flavors in one case and then keep 2 flavors of the regular at our crap store.  But that doesn't really change my opinion much because I've tried other dairy-free ice creams and they've tasted pretty good depending on the flavor but not something I'd buy again.  I guess if you are eating dairy free for digestive or personal reasons then their DF selection may be a good option...just not this flavor.  Get something with a stronger flavor profile but that's just my two cents.  ;-)

What's your favorite (intentional) dairy-free ice cream?


====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of ice cream. Once in a while I get a craving, but mostly I can take it or leave it. I have other weaknesses. I don't know that I've ever tried dairy free ice cream, unless you count sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried the chocolate Halo Top but I don't recall if it was dairy free or not. I don't believe it was because I think the "coconut milk" part would have stuck out to me. I thought that one was pretty good, although a little weird on the texture, but the taste was good. I tend to gravitate towards sherbet more than anything and that can be hit or miss too depending on the maker.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)