Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Food Review: Ripple Pea Protein Milk

The other day on our Tar-zhay run, the Mr and I were picking up our usual Fairlife Skim Milk.  A bunch of new bottles caught our attention...


Plant based milk.  Oh, another soy product.  Nope.  A closer look told us it was made with PEAS!  Here's a peek at the nutritional info for the original version.


I've tried all kinds of alternate milks and am not a fan.  For the random bowl or two of cereal I may have in a week, I'm all about the skim regardless of the trend or zillion other articles.  To each their own.  But I am always up for trying something new so we grabbed a small bottle and gave it a go.


It pours just like soy or almond milk and there's no weird smell or anything like that.  (Hey, being made from peas (one of the Mr's most loathed veggies) I wasn't sure what to expect!)


The verdict?  It has the mouth feel of 2% milk to me which I loathe but the Mr loves.  As far as taste?  Hmm, I've never tasted anything like this before so there's really nothing to compare it to.  It doesn't smell or taste of peas.  You can tell it's plant based for sure.  Hmm...is this what "earthy" tastes like?  Could be.  This is also one version of a few flavors they sell but we wanted to get the least altered taste.  This will be perfect for the Mr's smoothies to use the rest up.  If you're a smoothie person or need a protein boost, this could be just the thing for you.

In the end, it's not something we'd likely get again but I'm totally on board with their providing other options, especially non-GMO.  You can read more about the company here.  If you sign up for their mailing list, you can get a $1 off coupon for a 48 ounce bottle.

(FYI-  This was totally an impulse buy.  I have nothing to do with this company or a reason to send you to their site.  Just a girl, trying somethin' new and passing along my personal opinion.)

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

3 comments:

  1. I liked the taste I got of it. Not sure I would change over to it from almond milk just yet but I did get a nice smooth and creamy taste from it which would work well for smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting. I grew up on 2%, but switched over to skim years ago and that's what I drink. I've never seen a reason to switch to alternatives. This one does sound interesting though, and I like the idea of all that protein packed in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too high in carbs for me- but interesting and good for you for trying something that sounds icky right out of the bottle. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)