Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day 1: Nutella Cherry Chocolate Cookies

It's National Cookie Day so it seemed like the perfect day to kick off the 12 Days of Treats!

I made these cookies after returning from our trip to Traverse City, Michigan.  I was inspired by everything cherry and these babies delivered.




 They're not ooey gooey, more of a cakey consistency but that makes them perfect for baking and sending to loved ones.  Of course you could always add more Nutella if you wanted more goo but that'll cost ya a few more calories.  Ready to get moving?  Here's what you'll need.

Nutella Cherry Chocolate Cookies
(Makes 24)

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup dried tart cherries, diced into small pieces
1/4 cup nutella
Dash salt

Preheat oven to 375.

Grab your butter...


and your brown sugar...


and cream them until fluffy.


Add your vanilla and egg whites.


Give 'em a mix.


Time to add the rest of the ingredients!

Flour...check.


cocoa powder...check.


baking soda...check.


Nutella...yes please!


Chocolate chips...yepper!


Get the cherries and cut them into smaller pieces before adding them to the batter.


Cookie party!


Mix it up!


Grab your little cookie scooper or teaspoon...


drop onto Silpat or non stick cookie sheet.


Bake 8 - 10 minutes depending on your preference for the texture.  A little less for chewy, a little more for crispy and cakey.


Let them cool on a rack for 3-5 minutes.


Chocolate cherry goodness awaits!


Nutritional Information per cookie:  Calories 98  Total Fat 4g  Sat Fat 2g  Mono Fat 1g  Cholesterol 5mg  Sodium 28mg  Potassium 22mg  Total Carbs 16g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 10g  Protein 2g  Vitamin A  1%  Calcium 1%  Iron 3%

This recipe was linked up with Crazy for Crust, Mandy's Recipe Box, The Rustic Pig and Lil Luna.

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

27 comments:

  1. What a great way to start off the 12 days of treats. These were wonderful and my co-workers loved them, of course. Happy cookie day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo of the brown sugar has caused this question! lol

    You stated "half a cup of brown sugar packed", I've always taken that as fill the thing part way, pack it down, fill it more, pack it down, etc til it's full. But yours doesn't go to the top of the cup, so did you fill it til it was full then pack down?

    PS, look yummy, I'd probably sub cranberries simply because I have them on hand lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always much debate about this topic. I measure it loose, then pack it down and done. A little less sugar is never a bad thing when you're trying to keep your waistline from expanding and I've always done it this way and nothing has ever blown up. :) If you've done it your way and nothing has blown up then, go for it.

      Delete
  3. My day just got better at the site of these cookies! I better get a drool cloth for the next few days, if this is your opener i can't wait to see what the rest will bring! I love your holiday treat weeks! I want to work where ever the mr does, those are some lucky ducks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will be pleased at the rest of the offerings! :) Yes, they got more cookies today because I had extras from the weekend so they'd better appreciate them! At the end of my baking spree for this project they were beginning to take them for granted. ;)

      Delete
  4. Those look really rich. Sometimes that is good because I don't feel the need to eat too many. They look very yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a way to celebrate national cookie day and to kick off your 12 Days. I'm keeping a list of ones I want to try so when I have some time I can do a little baking spree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I've had quite a few people say they're already made some from last year which makes me smile. I'm always so happy when people like my schtuff! :)

      Delete
    2. You know I love it. I've made several of your cookie recipes from last year, your stuffing, your sweet potatoes... and can't forget the pumpkin gingerbread loaf in my oven right now using the rest of the pumpkin from making your pumpkin pancakes last week.

      Yeah, I sound like a crazy stalker person.

      Delete
    3. You make-a me blush! So glad you love my recipes!

      Delete
  6. Looks really yummy! I love the addition of the cherries...

    How do you like the cookie baking sheets? Do they work? Last?

    Nitty Gritty Momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 4 months ago I likely wouldn't have added cherries but now I want to add them to everything! :) Do you mean the Silpat pads? I LOOOOOOOVE them! I don't know how I ever baked without them before. Nothing sticks to them. I've had mine for about 18 months and they're awesome. If you don't have any, get some. You won't be sorry, especially if you're about to bake for the season!

      Delete
  7. Anything with chocolate, cherries and nutella win me over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are similar to a Christmas cookie I make! Well, with the addition of Nutella. And now I'm going to have to try adding that because these look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! 12 days of cookies! And these look incredibly yummy! I love chocolate and cherries. Such a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got everything except the Nutella--maybe some almond butter instead?

    They look pretty anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - drooling all over my laptop now, thanks Mrs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't short circuit anything! :) They are quite delicious if I do say do myself.

      Delete
  12. Yay! I'm so glad these are made with dried cherries rather than those horrendous maraschino cherries...I can't stand those things, and I never have! My dad used to buy me a box of them every year, and I never ate them. But these? I would prolly end up eating all of them in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)