Thursday, October 16, 2014

Quick Meal: Sweet and Spicy Fish

Raise your hand if you like quick meals.

*raising hand*

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind laboring over a stove when I need to but on weeknights, we don't eat dinner until after we workout.  I grab my shower and then I don't want to get all wrapped up in something that takes forever to prepare.  One of our go to dinners especially on strength training days is fish.  High in protein, lean and relatively low in calories.  Fish can sometimes taste bland if not properly spruced up so I'm sharing a less than 20 minute dinner prep recipe that is in moderate rotation for us.  I hope it'll become a new favorite for you too!


I used some cod I had on hand which is a nice, meaty fish.  Dense and not overly fishy.  This is typically the kind of fish you'll find when you eat fish and chips.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

I crack some black peppercorn on top...


...then I add some heat.  This berbere seasoning is amazing.  A nice heat but also has a hint of maple flavor from the fenugreek inside so it has a sweet and spicy kick.  If you don't have any, you can substitute cayenne pepper but I highly suggest giving this spice a try!


We can handle the heat so I put a goodly amount on.


Then it's time to grab my Simply Fruit Orange Marmalade and I measured out 2 tbsp.


Divide it by the number of fillets you have and spoon onto the fish.


Brush the marmalade to coat.


Like so.


Bake for 16-18 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.


Ready to dig in!


This particular meal clocked in at 350 calories for the fish, green beans and half a cooked sweet potato (3 oz) that I microwaved for 5 minutes while the fish was cooking and topped with 1 tbsp of my homemade pumpkin butter.



Quick, low cal and delicious!

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

3 comments:

  1. Makes we wish I liked fish - but then all your fish recipes do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't discovered chutney yet, I highly recommend it for adding a touch of sweet to spicey dishes. I've found both mango and cranberry chutney at my local grocery but I think it's pretty easy to make at home with fruit you have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds delicious and I like fish. I'll have to try it but dial down the spicy as my stomach doesn't tolerate it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)