Tuesday, November 8, 2016

"Thanks past self!"



We hear that so often in weight loss circles, don't we?  It typically refers to drinking more water (crap, I need to grab my bottle) or changing your portion size or the type of food you're eating.  Maybe it refers to just getting off the couch and getting a walk in today and maybe you'll be motivated to do it again tomorrow.  All of these are great points and one that we should remember going forward in our own journeys to whatever our goals are.

But this saying also applies in pretty much every aspect of life.  It's a motto I've been trying to apply more in the past few weeks.

For example, Sunday mornings, the Mr loves this banana coconut smoothie I make with brunch.  I like it too but it's a pain in the butt to throw together when you just want to get cooking.  I have to pre-measure the PB2, the protein powder, the unsweetened cocoa, weigh the banana and chop it up, measure the coconut water...blah blah blah.  It's just tedious to do when all I want to do is just blend and go.  So last Sunday when I was making it for us that morning, I went ahead and pre-measured the powder ingredients and cut and bagged the frozen bananas so all I really have to do is dump, weigh the coconut water, slap in the yogurt and blend.  I smiled and said "next Sunday's self is gonna love today's self!"  Maybe next Saturday, I'll get ambitious and make it Saturday night and have it waiting for us Sunday morning.  But let's not get ahead of ourselves!  ;-)

Sunday night I also went ahead and ironed my outfits for physical therapy.  There's nothing worse than having to iron on the spot when you're already feeling rushed so I wanted to give myself that one up for those 3 days this week so I don't have to worry about it.

Even this post is being typed up at 9:45am Monday morning instead of being rushed after dinner when I'm frantic and wondering what the heck to talk about.  Now I can go forward into my Monday knowing I have one more thing crossed off the list for the day!  This week is going to be incredibly busy and anything I can do to make it easier on my future self is going to make things run that much smoother.  Given I'm the ultimate procrastinator, this is a big step.  I hope to keep it up and reap the benefits going forward!

What things do you do (or want to start doing) that your future self thanks you for?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

3 comments:

  1. It only takes a few extra minutes sometimes and if you do it you really do thank yourself for it later. But if you skip it, you end up more miserable in the long run so it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make the hub's lunch right when I'm making dinner so I don't have to worry about it later in the evening (and then forget about it). I usually know what I'm going to wear the next day the night before so I don't even have to think about it in the morning. And I have my meds ready to go for the next morning as well, which really helps because I tend to forget about that one. On really good days I'll have the dogs' bowls lined up with their kibble treats ready. And I write a to-do list for the next day and I stick to that, otherwise it's too overwhelming to look at so much stuff and start to panic. If I have a list I'm better able to block out the "white noise" stuff for the day. None of these are major things, but they do help to keep me focused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironing? What is this IRONING you speak of? I gave that up so many years ago that I can't remember what it was.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)