Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Day the Music Died

via Wikipedia
It's been 39 years since the news came over the airwaves that the King of Rock and Roll was gone at 42 years old.  I was too young to remember him when he was alive but he didn't need to be alive for me to hear that velvety voice, appreciate those sultry eyes and wish that in 1957 I could've whipped my knickers onstage.  Good God that man still gives me the vapors!

In high school, I was obsessed with him and the weird thing is I don't ever remember being exposed to him by anyone in my family.  My mom was born at the height of his popularity so she wasn't into him, same with dad.  I don't think my grandparents cared for him one way or the other.  But when you reach the point where you're not just a singer but an icon, you're just everywhere.

When I think of Elvis, I think of him looking the way he does above.  He'll always be late 50's Elvis in my mind but you know I'll never turn down the leather clad 1968 Comeback Elvis either.  Hominah-hominah-hominah!

I loved so many songs he sang but some of my favorites were I Got Stung, Good Luck Charm, Too Much, (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear, Bossanova Baby, King Creole and Suspicious Minds.  Basically anything gospel sounds like it's sung straight from the mouth of heaven.  Obviously mixing Christmas and Elvis is high on my list of bliss.  Before my in-laws moved away, Dad gave me some of his Elvis albums and my MIL gave me a postcard she'd received as part of his fan club for Christmas.  They obviously knew I'd take care of them being a fan.

Last night, we watched a bit of the vigil from Graceland.  I want to go to Elvis week in January some time because this heat-a-phobe isn't committing to Memphis in August.  But it made me miss it.  We've been to Graceland twice and Elvis fan or not, it's a magical place to be.  It's kept just as he left it so if you are looking to go in a time capsule, this is it.  Definitely pay for the VIP experience, it was worth it.

Thank you Elvis for your talent, your generosity, your Southern manners and a legacy that cannot be matched.

Are you an Elvis fan?  What are your favorite songs?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

5 comments:

  1. I Can't Help Falling in Love with You is my favorite. Not even sure where I first heard it but as a kid I heard it and I have always been drawn to great melodies in songs and that has it. I never considered myself a big Elvis fan but after going to Graceland I am proud to say I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Elvis, but I'm not like a super fan. I was in Memphis several years ago and had the option to go to Graceland (in the summer) and opted instead for the scale model Mississippi River. I have to say the river thing was pretty cool (plus, water, so literally cooler as well) but I kind of wish I hadn't cheaped out on Graceland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge Elvis fan - but my sister is the superfan of the family. I remember the day Elvis died - I came home from school and my mom was in the kitchen with the radio on and she was crying and they were playing Elvis songs. The three of us girls sat there for over an hour listening to Elvis and crying and singing along. I have a lot of his albums - and especially love his Christmas albums. We went to Graceland too and I will say the only disappointment was the size....I thought it would be much bigger. But it was magical to be in his house and studio and imagine what it must have been like in its heyday with all his famous friends there. We also went through his plane, the Lisa Marie, across the street. No one can replace Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a BIG Elvis fan. In fact, I saw him in one of his last concerts in July of 1977, when he performed at the Pershing Center in Lincoln, NE. What a thrill. We had his song "Can't Help Falling in Love," sung at our wedding in 1970, it's the song he ended every concert with, so I think it was special to him too. We went to Graceland, FINALLY, in 2011, and it was great fun. Like Donna above, I was surprised that it was so small, compared to stars of today, whose houses are palatial mansions. But it was still very cool, and the barbecue in Memphis ain't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Elvis. And I was so sad to learn his manager made him sing in all his movies. You only wonder how much longer he may have been alive if he was able to actually go and do what he really wanted, could he have been the first Justin Timberlake, singing and acting and being beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)