Monday, August 8, 2016

Scenes from the weekend with the Gimps

It was a great weekend!  I got some news that a friend of mine finally got engaged to her beau of almost 5 years so I was crying and laughing and squeeing at various points of the weekend.  I am so happy for them and it definitely made my One Happy Year for that day.  (Especially since she told me before she made the big FB announcement.  So sweet)

I got up Saturday and felt a little sore so I got in a hot shower, massaged the legs and told the Mr to pack up the car, I'm not being sidelined by this crap anymore.  The last time we went paddling was the time that I knew something was wrong and made my first chiro appointment.  So to make sure I was taking as good of care of my gimpy leg as possible, I rolled up a towel and wedged it under my left knee.


I have a tendency to hyperextend my legs when I paddle and this made it much more comfortable and I tried to be aware to keep things relaxed on my right side as well.  

As soon as we were in the water, I made a beeline for the lilypads.



I don't know what it is but it's my happy place.

The Mr was quite excited to be out on the board again even if his foot was giving him serious issues.  (Plantar fasciitis)  It was a calmer day with a few alternating breezes for good measure.


When the shoulders were about to give out on both of us, we decided to dock and break out our picnic lunch we brought.



It felt much hotter than they forecasted and luckily a few clouds shaded us on occasion.  We did take shelter under some bridges and trees when we felt like we were going to ignite which helped.  I couldn't help but ask for one more frolic in the greenery before calling it day.


To say we were exhausted was an understatement.  We hit an antique store in the area to pet their kitty and every time we had to go up or down a level it was like "aaahhhh, no more stairs!"  We were both like the walking dead when we got home because we had to do Trader Joe's and Target before being in for the night.  Then when Dominos sounded like all I could muster...I called it in to the wrong location and it was like 20 minutes out of our way.  D'oh!!  So yeah, when we got home, it was everything to lift our hand to our mouth to take a drink.

I was feeling pretty stiff despite having done some scraping on the muscle to keep things flexible.  I mustered up enough energy to get a hot shower and then my butt was in bed by 11pm,  I didn't even get up to go to the bathroom unless I went and didn't know it.  (Note:  check mattress)

Sunday we decided would be rest day because we were both whooped.  We gave each other massages so we could function and I worked on brunch.


That is some breakfast casserole concoction I threw together when I had no plan.  Note to self, use half the potatoes next time because it got pretty hefty calorie wise by the time everything was done but watching the Mr drool over it might've been worth the extra 200 calories I went over by.  I couldn't help myself and had to open the strawberry preserves from Bonne Maman because they're that good.  I know I have two open jars but sometimes sourdough toast demands it.  It held us until a lighter dinner at 7:30pm after the day sucked down the drain.

What did you guys do this weekend?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

3 comments:

  1. Saturday was a great day indeed. Exhausting but great. Sunday - oh man, that "concoction" was heaven on a plate. So friggin' good! I could use one more day to recover as usual but I will always remember you frolicking in the lilly pads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paddling sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday! I'm so jealous. I think that's something I could really get into if there were a place to paddle around here.

    I'm still working on decluttering/deep cleaning and I made progress over the weekend, but it's slow going. Sunday I watched the Olympics and read my book most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you got to be out on the water again!! Yippee!! What a great feeling that had to be. I know you guys were super sore and exhausted afterwards, but it's that "good" kind of feeling where you made great memories and know you put your body through some good stuff. And then you had a fantastic meal the next day. Sounds like a perfect weekend! And boy doesn't it feel nice to have one of those every once in a while.

    My weekend was pretty good. Busy Saturday but Sunday I never left the house (probably not a good thing but it felt good - lol). The weather wasn't quite as "cool" as they said it would be, but there was no rain so that was something. In a couple of weeks the apple orchard opens and I will be going and getting the best apple donuts in the world that just melt in your mouth and are so incredibly light. Then I'll go back in the fall to really look around and enjoy the pumpkin farm and orchard. This is what gets me through the hot days of August. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)