Saturday, December 8, 2012

Getting my just desserts - Weigh In

Nothing like being up 3 lbs.

I burned 4600 calories this week WITH an injured foot.  (Didn't I tell you guys I get screwed when I burn OVER my goal and give no rest day between the last workout and weigh in day?)   Monday was a cluster you know what.  We basically had another high cal day.  His mom gave us a gift card for Christmas and guess what I didn't feel like doing when we got home after 5 hours of taking her shopping for her Christmas gift?  Yeah.  So we went to a steakhouse, I got salmon and you'd think that was good but we got desserts and split them...after we'd already had desserts earlier in the day. Oy. Before you guys are all like "hey idiot, THAT'S why you gained 3 lbs!" that happened a couple of weeks ago and I lost 2 lbs that week.  The sodium bloat from Monday was gone by Tuesday giving me the weight I am this morning four days ago.  So you mean to tell me nothing I did from Tues-Fri made a difference?  *bangs head against the wall*  This is a bad time of year to have a 'screw you' mentality toward the scale.  I feel old demons wanting to say "I bet a couple of cookies would make you feel better, break 'em outta the freezer."  I'll be glad when the cookie dough is outta here tomorrow and I don't have the temptation.  I'm going to have to be vigilant with my tracking next week.  Why?  Other than mother nature swinging by for a visit (TMI), I have severely sprained my left foot.  It was back when I did plyo about a month ago and it's just never healed up right.  Now I'm to the point I can barely put weight on it and I look like "little Mo' with the gimpy leg."  So we headed to Target to grab some inserts, a brace and I've been icing it. Since I'm in the kitchen on my flat feet a lot (and had to be last night), I wore my tennis shoes with the inserts and I felt better standing there.  I'm going to have to wear the shoes in the house when I'm not icing my foot.  So today and possibly tomorrow are rest days then I'll flip my Sunday workout to Friday.  Oh sh*t, I just remembered we have an engagement that night.  Hmm, well no, I can do a morning workout.  I need to get MORE water in, I need to make the banana push pops for our evening snack instead of turning to chemical laden convenience pudding, I need to make sure I get in my chia seeds every day, I need to find no sodium cottage cheese again because it seemed to work keeping me full in the morning, I need to find an alternative to oatmeal because the sight and smell of it is making me want to hurl.  Sorry...welcome to the swirling in my head.

I was SOOO tired last night I just didn't have it in me to do the Friday Food Journal so um, the days I remembered to take pics (d'oh).

Monday was the steakhouse debacle and after just waking up from fainting looking at the desserts we split, I'd say calories for that night were close to 2000...for DINNER.  Well hell, there ya go.  Well no because again, I lost 3 of it...oh whatever, I will never understand.  Movin' on.  Note to self:  NEVER get dessert at a steakhouse unless it's a mini and even then, it's still not worth it.

Tuesday I had a fish taco (mahi mahi) with chipotle potato bites.  Calories 490.

Wednesday the Mr worked late so I made something I could heat up for him when he got done with his workout.  I chose whole wheat spaghetti with the last of my red pepper marinara sauce *sad face* and a piece of lite garlic bread.  Calories 657



Thursday was BBQ chicken naan pizza and steamed carrots with pepper and thyme.  Calories 646


Friday I decided to make semi-homemade french onion soup but it was ill timed with the chicken and swiss wrap that I snarfed down due to extreme hunger.  When it was ready it was actually really good.  I know some adjustments I'd make in the future so when I do and test it again, I'll let ya know!  Calories 530


We went to an appt yesterday and thankfully I had the Mr call ahead because these people are known for kind of jerking our time around.  I'm glad we did because he was running 15 minutes late.  I really wish he hadn't told us when we got there it was because he was Christmas shopping because then I felt like he didn't feel our time was important.  Is it wrong I pictured smacking him upside the head with a new style Furby?

Tomorrow I'm going on a massive baking spree, thank God I pre-made most of my dough.  I should just be able to cut, bake and box up.  Woot!

What are you guys doing this weekend?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

17 comments:

  1. Not much planned for the weekend. The weather is supposed to turn cold tomorrow with a "chance of snow". So either we'll get nothing (likely) or it will dump like 2 feet (wishful thinking). Either way I want to get some outside time and all my weekend errands in today and then just have a snuggle into the couch and watch movies day on Sunday.

    Salt free cottage cheese is on my list of foods that it's just not worth eating. It tastes funny to me - but if you can stand it then good for you.

    We had BBQ Naan pizza last night - it's become one of the little guy's favorites. He asked for it, and since it's so quick and easy I was happy to oblige. I just wish naan wasn't so hard to find around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a snow dump for you because I want to know SOMEONE out there can at least go play in some while I stare out my 60 degree window this weekend. Sounds like a great Sunday plan! Oh I have to put 1/2 a tbsp of A1 on the cottage cheese so yeah, I don't have super human tastebuds. But I was looking for something with the protein/calories of my 3 egg whites without having to continue to eat them almost every day. I'm in a serious breakfast rut.

      YAY for BBQ Naan Pizza!! I would say you could make naan at home and freeze it but if someone told me that, I'd politely laugh and delete the info from my brain. You know I'm going to go look for a naan recipe now, right?

      Delete
    2. Making my own never even occurred to me. I went looking after I read this response and I think I'm going to try one of the recipes. They all sound pretty similar so I think I'm just going to pick one and run with it. It sounds like you can do it in a very high heat oven or on a griddle so I'll probably try the griddle method and use hubby's tortilla pan. They'll be round(ish) instead of oval, but if I make them the right size they'll be just right for a 1/2 naan serving size. I'll let you know how they come out, or if you get to it first you can tell all of us.

      Delete
  2. I don't know about you, but I always gain 3-5 pounds the week before my period. I skip my weigh-in that week and the next week since it always takes a week or so to balance out and start losing again. It's so frustrating that two weeks out of every four to five each month are derailed by period water gain. Not. Fair. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stoopid scale!

    Re: foot/ankle - With as much time as you spend in the kitchen, have you ever considered getting a gel mat? I've heard they really help, but I've never used one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I did! I got one about 3 months ago and I LOOOOVE it! But I do switch on and off of it. I wonder if I can just redo the whole kitchen with a gel floor? :D

      Delete
  4. Sorry I've been so busy I haven't taken time to comment, though I read the blog in my email every day. Can't say a word about weight gain, I'm actually afraid to get on the scale after three months of essentially ignoring it, not watching food choices and only packing and cleaning for exercise, if you can call it that. Tiring, but not aerobic.

    About your foot. Don't know if the treatment for sprain is the same as for plantar fasciitis, but my podiatrist told me that he wanted me in orthopedic shoes or Superfeet insoles ALL the time, and that 15 minutes of going barefoot could undo six weeks of healing. I'm going on a year with this injury now, and nearly that long since I saw the doctor about it--and it's finally beginning to feel normal. It wouldn't hurt to get that gel mat also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have PF back 2006-2008 due to a sloped uneven floor at my office job and that was at my highest weight too. NOT fun! It's not quite the same pain. It almost feels like the bones in my foot on top are shifting or need to crack and then a stretch in the arch. The arch support has helped as long as I wear it but man that stinks feeling like I have to wear it all the time. I'll do whatever it takes to heal though. Glad to hear you're feeling back to normal.

      Delete
  5. I'm sitting here nodding my head in agreement with everything in this post. We were separated at birth? :D

    Your dessert debacle at the steak house reminds me of the ONE time I made the mistake of ordering a red velvet cupcake from Claim Jumper. Now, most things at that restaurant arrive in cave man size portions, but the cupcake I thought was a decent choice because come on...it's a CUPCAKE. When I got home and looked up the stats, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. No way in hell should a single cupcake be 800 calories. Seriously, what is in that thing?

    About the foot...I totally sympathize with you. I broke my ankle in 1990 and it is STILL not right. I also have a weird tracking syndrome in my knees (born with it..now I have the Maybelline commercial in my head) that leaves me falling down without warning every once in awhile. LOL If that isn't awesome, I don't know what is. I hope your foot heals so you can get back to doing your thing!

    As for the weekend....we're just hanging out. Planning to make some latkes tonight (we're not Jewish, but who doesn't love a latke?), play some games with the teens, maybe catch a Netflix movie or two. Snow is a slight possibility here this weekend, but probably won't make an appearance, drats! ~Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot...not sure where you're located, but I'm in the Pacific Northwest and Safeway carries an unsalted cottage cheese made by Lucerne, their house brand.

      Delete
    2. We could be! :) Sprinkles and Gigi's have 800 calorie cupcakes. I wish I didn't love them so. There are times I wish I had random sugar allergies. That stinks about the ankle. It would be unsettling to know I could fall without warning. My luck, I'd face plant in the middle of Trader Joe's with all of the crunchy granolas. Latkes are yummy! We shop at Safeway when we're in Hawaii and I miss it. Far superior to Kroger which has me at wits end half the time. Thanks for the tip though! I may keep some on hand during next years trip!

      Delete
  6. I swear sometimes there is nothing you can do about that damn scale! I'm contemplating hiding mine for the month. I'd still track and exercise like normal, but just hide the scale since it seems to be doing to +/- 2lbs every week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to my world. Im the queen of flat feet, one leg shorter thsn the other. Haha but take care. gel mat sounds awesomd. Im sure uwill lose those 3lbs after TOM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if this will help or not, but there are two things that I can't live without because of my pathetic feet: gel mat from Bed Bath & Beyond, and my Asics running shoes. The gel mat is the long one and I can have bare feet and that mat helps me A LOT with the achiness when I'm cooking or washing dishes. The Asics are awesome for arch support and because I get the running style shoes, the toes turn up a bit so I don't get that slide-y smooshed toe feeling after wearing them a long time. They give me a real bounce in my step and I wear them inside the house whenever I'm doing any kind of cleaning for long periods of time. They seem to support my ankles and I'm not limping by the end of the night. I have some Sketchers that I am not a fan of because they are too flat in the arches and my feet ache after a while. I know everybody's feet are different, but the Asics work for me and have a nice toe box area. Just wanted to toss a couple ideas out there for you.

    As for the weekend, I had a great concert yesterday that was a brass orchestra and they were phenomenal--and hilarious! Then this morning at the crack of dawn I met a friend for breakfast for her 50th birthday. She loved the restaurant and the gifts, which thrilled me to bits. Then it was off to the eye doctor to correct my left lenses (contacts & glasses), then off running errands before coming home and napping for a good 2 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love an update on the French Onion Soup! I've tried to make it a couple of times before but it turnes out sweet (?) I think I may be using the wrong onions or something.

    Hope this week turnes out better for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry about the sprain--ouch! Can you take it easy and concentrate on upper body stuff for a while until it heals completely? I imagine that's one of those things where it's easy to re-injure. I'm with you on the oatmeal, BTW--I totally overdid it on that and now I can't even think about it.

    I hope this week is better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)