Friday, December 14, 2012

Day 9: Holiday Wreaths

I was jealous last year when my friend posted a pic of these on her Facebook account because I truly haven't had one since elementary school.  It got me thinking that in a day when bloggers are trying to outdo each other by stuffing 50 ingredients into a brownie or cookie in attempts to be the most outrageous, I'd much rather harken back to a classic.  So I'm droppin' some old school "room mom" treats on ya from back in the day when we had these things called Christmas parties in class.  That's as far as I'm going to go on that or it could get ugly.  Good thing these aren't...




Remember those?  I tried to bulk up the nutrition a little by using bran flakes instead of corn flakes but don't tell people because you know how people wrinkle their noses when they hear the word "bran."  They still taste like childhood.  Let's go back in the time machine.

Holiday Wreaths
(Makes 12)

4 cups bran flakes
4 cups mini marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
25 cinnamon imperial candies
Green food coloring

Hello marshmallows and butter.  I'm gonna melt you into deliciousness.



In a stock pot or dutch oven, melt butter and add vanilla over medium heat then add marshmallows.


Stir until smooth.


Yum!


Add green food coloring.


 Stir until the you have the desired color then turn off the heat.


Grab your bran flakes.


Party time.


Add the bran flakes and toss to coat until every flake is coated.  (You don't want people suspecting you're trying to healthy 'em up by letting brown bran flakes show through)


Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the flake mixture onto wax paper/Silpats.


Glove up if ya got 'em.  Or wash your hands and get to it.


Make a hole in the center to form a wreath.


Time for your imperial candies.


Add a few to each wreath to look like berry clusters.  (Use a little extra "goo" to attach if you need to.)  Allow to set for a few hours at room temperature or for an hour in the fridge.


They're sure to be the star of your holiday table.  Big and little kids alike will love 'em!


Nutritional information per wreath:  Calories 138 Total Fat 7g  Sat Fat 4g  Mono Fat 2g  Cholesterol 17mg  Sodium 127mg  Potassium 67mg  Total Carbs 20g  Fiber 2g  Sugars 10g  Protein 2g  Vitamin A 10%  Vitamin C 38%  Iron 38%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

22 comments:

  1. Those are adorable. And my kind of cooking (EASY!). I'm not a fan of the cinnamon dots so I might swap out mini m&ms if I made them (it would change the nutrition a tiny bit but probably not too much).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! I have to take something for my kiddo's Christmas part next week (I know - gasp! we do caroling too. ahh the things you can get away with at a tiny rural school) and this is just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like my kind of Christmas party! LOVE that there are still schools that partake!

      Delete
  3. This does remind me of something a "room mother" brought in when I was in school. My mom never made stuff like this so I thought it was an amazing feat for someone to make a wreath out of corn flakes and always wondered how it was done. Now you go and make it look easy AND the coloring adds yet another element to it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to make them and they did taste just like childhood! Mmmm!

      Delete
  4. Yum!! I have never seen these...I like the idea of MnMs instead of the candies too:) more chocolate..lol...this is neat..thanks again for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love these...especially the little candies! I may have to make these for my holiday pot luck. Quick, easy and just a couple of things needed to make them. Just the way I like it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, do you suppose I could make these using brown rice cereal? I could give it a try, I guess, and if they didn't hold together, I could shape them into Christmas trees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen these in a long time. I like that they are quick and easy to make. I might just have to make some of these even though I swore I wasn't going to make any sweets for the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely quick and easy. I keep them in the fridge until I'm ready to serve but slamming your face in them in the privacy of your own home is perfectly acceptable as well.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, I am so happy you posted this! I've only had these one time in my life and it was about 6 years ago. I had never seen these corn flake cereal wonders, and I fell in lust with them. Now I have a recipe to create some old-time magic. Thank you my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome my friend! I hope you enjoy them, I know we did! :)

      Delete
  9. I don't know about the green corn flakes, but it looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, when you're using bran flakes without the green it would look like dead wreaths! LOL

      Delete
  10. My grandma used to always make these and they were my favorite Christmas cookie! But then for some reason, she stopped making them, which made me so bummed. She made all her other cookies, just not these! This brings back memories...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine so didn't come out all pretty and round like yours. I believe I've mentioned my crafting gene is faulty? Still, they taste good and they don't look terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can honestly say that I've never had one of these before! How cute are they?!? Apparently I've been living under a rock :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)