Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Day 7: Maple Buckeyes

I grew up on Buckeye candy at Christmas.  (Or chocolate peanut butter balls)  This is one that it ain't Christmas without this peanut butter ball o' goodness.  Because this recipe has been passed down for generations, there's one part in here that may cause controversy due to old school methods.  Gasp!  But they're well worth the scandal and will make your mouth sing...




I wanted to ever so slightly tweak this family favorite with my new obsession, Mighty Maple Peanut Butter.  The foundation flavors of peanut butter are present when you bite into it but the finishing note is a light maple and when you can use the word finish or finishing note, they get upped to "gourmet" status.  Fact.  (In my world)

I would also like to note that using a stand mixer saves a lot of elbow grease if you have one.  I didn't discover this until last year and I wanted to beat my head against a wall because I always dreaded making them because my arm would be worn out.  If you don't have one, no problem, just strap on a heart rate monitor and see how many calories you burn.  Let's roll!

Maple Buckeyes
(Makes 42)


1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened
1/2 cup Peanut Butter & Co All Natural Mighty Maple Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Planters Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 1/2-3 3/4 cup powdered sugar
6 oz Toll House semi sweet chocolate chips
Paraffin Wax

In your bowl, add the peanut butters and butter and mix until combined and smooth.



Add the vanilla and sift in the powdered sugar.  Mix until it's firm.  Try not to scoop it out of the bowl, slather it on your skin and lick it off like a cat.  Oh...did I type that?


Get a little cookie scoop then roll into little balls and put them in the freezer for 15 minutes or an hour in the fridge.


Time for the chocolate!


Here's where you want to blast Prince's Controversy.

Break out your bag of chocolate chips and...paraffin wax.  Yep, the kind you use in canning.  You do about 5-8 shaves with a veggie peeler off the side to add to the chocolate so it adheres to the peanut butter balls.  Oil or shortening will not allow them to sit out at room temperature as nice and they have kind of a melty texture without it.  Do what you want but I've probably eaten a pillar candles worth in my life and I'm still kickin'!


In a double boiler (or a metal mixing bowl over a saucepan of water like I did), melt the chocolate over medium heat, stir until smooth, knock the heat down to low, add the wax and stir until it's incorporated.


Pull the balls out of their chilly home and insert a toothpick, dip into the chocolate rocking back and forth but leaving the top open.  Place on wax paper and repeat.  When you're done, get your finger wet with water and rub the peanut butter around the toothpick hole until it's smooth and hidden.


Addiction on a plate.  Loved ones and co-workers will love you for them!


Nutritional Information per buckeye:  Calories 127  Total Fat 7g  Sat Fat 3g  Poly Fat 1g  Mono Fat 2g  Cholesterol 10mg  Sodium 46mg  Potassium 1mg  Total Carbs 15g  Sugars 14g  Protein 1g  Vitamin A 2%  Iron 1%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

11 comments:

  1. It wouldn't be Christmas time without some buckeyes to enjoy and these are by far the best yet! That little touch of maple is just the extra kick needed to make a good thing even better. Can't wait to have some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it wouldn't! I really liked that you couldn't taste the maple until the finish. What I wouldn't give to face plant into one of those babies right now. YUM!

      Delete
  2. The one combination I absolutely cannot resist. Now I have to find someone else's house to make them at so I can eat one and leave the rest. I wouldn't even have the willpower to pack them up and send them away. I might be able to turn my back and walk away... awww who am I kidding. I could never abandon these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say throw them in the freezer to resist temptation but they're great frozen too! LOL What keeps me out of them is if I know I'm making them for others it's easy for me to have one then divide them up, wrap them and hide them somewhere. As long as I don't SEE them, I'm good. Which is why until now I totally forgot I have frozen balls in the freezer to dip for Christmas Eve. Now I need to forget again! LOL

      Delete
  3. omg PB and chocolate...HEAVEN right here...Woman u rock...u have an amazing gift for this...Love u!! I am glad these are virtual..or I wud have done the slather and lick right now!!!

    thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL...I have also wanted to jump through screens on certain recipes on websites! They are so heavenly and since they're chocolate and peanut butter, they're good any time of year!

      Delete
  4. Yup thought I was the only one eating wax for Christmas. My grandfather used to make these in various flavors. Like 10 batches ever year. Do miss that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another wax eater! :) I think you should rekindle the memories and bust some out!

      Delete
  5. Buckeyes are one of my favorite treats, but using maple peanut butter in them is an even better idea. LOVE IT! Screw tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lost me at buckeyes. I used to make dozens and dozens of those for gift giving at Christmas. People would start asking me at Halloween if I was making them again that year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)