Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 5: Gingersnap Truffles

I love ginger snaps.  Well I love molasses ginger cookies more but that's another obsession.  I've used gingersnap crumbs for my pumpkin pies for well over 10 years with fantastically tasty results so I figured why not give them the truffle treatment?  




Come to mama!   I don't know if this is good or bad but they make small batches so if you've got a family of four then this will be about 4 per person and then they're outta the house.  Here's what you'll need to make yours.

Gingersnap Truffles
(Makes 14)

1 bag of Trader Joe's gluten free gingersnaps
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or other shelf stable milk)
1/2 package vanilla coating bark
Gingerbread (or preferred) sprinkles

Put your snaps in a food processor or blender.



Pulse them around until they're crumbalicious. (Totally a word)


Add your milk until it balls up like so.


Grab your handy dandy small cookie scoop and ball it.


Roll into round lil' orbs of spicy goodness.  (I really need to switch cutting boards)


Toothpick them and stick them in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes or until set.


In a double boiler, melt your vanilla coating/bark.


Grab the truffles in waiting from the freezer and give them a dip.


Tap off the excess before placing on a piece of wax paper.  (Learn from my mistake of not using wax paper)


While the coating is still wet, adorn with sprinkles.


When the coating is set, twist and remove the toothpick.


Dab a little of the cooled coating over the hole and smooth out.


Add sprinkles over the top to cover the hole.


Enjoy!

No gingerbread men were hurt in the making of these truffles...though you certainly could if they got out of line!

Nutritional information per truffle:  Calories  138  Total Fat 6g  Sat Fat 3g  Sodium 67mg  Potassium 2mg  Total Carbs 19mg  Fiber 1g  Sugars 14g  Protein 1g  


====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

21 comments:

  1. These not only taste great but they look great too. People loved how good they looked and then they ate them and were like "WOW"! So definitely a hit for anyone who takes the time to make these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad everyone liked them. I don't think I remembered getting a 'report' that day but I know we liked the one we split.

      Delete
  2. Yummy! and if you were the type to be worried about keeping your hands (or the hands of guests or children) clean, you could leave the toothpicks in. Or even get those nifty colored toothpicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally making these for our Christmas Eve party! Do they have to be gluten free cookies or can I use regular ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. Use the gingersnaps of your choice. I just listed they were gluten free since some people are allergic. It just happened to be a side benefit from that particular brand. :)

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I love ginger snaps. We don't have a TJ very close - what size bag did you use (in case I must ruin the recipe with non-TJ snaps ;) )?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say it was 15-16 oz bag. There are plenty of delightful brands of gingersnaps to use, TJ's just puts their eye level so like a lemming, I grabbed them. :)

      Delete
  5. I love that cutting board. It has character! It's rustic! Or something! Gingersnaps are one of my favorites too, so I love the idea of making them into truffles. And those sprinkles are too freaking cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda cringed when I saw that and the Mr was HORRIFIED. He's like "STOP using that cutting board for posts!" I laughed and said "but it's my favorite and let's people know I actually cook!" and he's like "yeah but it's ugly especially in the right light!" HA!

      Delete
  6. Pretty! I'm not a fan of gingersnaps, but I'd probably adapt if they were dipped in chocolate. :)

    I use a gadget I found at Michael's for dipping. It kind of looks like a seafood fork, missing a prong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've seen those on other people's posts, I need to get over there and check them out. I guess my only thought was how do you get it off the fork without messing up the smooth coating or leaving 2 "track marks" on the bottom? Anything to make dipping easier is good with me baby!

      Delete
  7. I kind of want to lick my screen right now. Gingerbread & white chocolate in the same post? Seriously, you're killing me. Keep it up. :D ~Krista

    p.s. I've used one of those dipping fork things before and could never figure out how to make it work without leaving track marks. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound fantastic! As for the cutting board, I thought it looked like it was frosty--you know, because it's winter...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These looks so cute and tasty! I can't wait to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really, really, REALLY need to be on Food TV. Honestly. I think I'm gonna tell them they are missing the next biggest hit and send them to your blog! lol Your creativity is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word, these look like gorgeous puffy little clouds!! I am keeping this recipe and am going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)