Monday, October 22, 2012

Sweet Figgy Potatoes

It's about this time of year I can't wait for traditional Thanksgiving recipes but I don't have it in me to make massive casserole sized dishes of them.  But you don't have to.  Not only that, you can give an old favorite a flavor kick in the pants.

This recipe came out of my need to use a poor lone sweet potato that was going to get left behind if I didn't use it soon.  The idea came to me and I wanted the Mr to guinea pig it for me to see if it would be as delicious as it imagined it.  I wanted basically the taste of a sweet potato casserole in a twice baked potato shell with a twist...a delightful, figgy twist.  When he took the initial bite, he said "Mmm!" then about 3 seconds later when the fig kicked in he reiterated "Mmm!!!" and went in for a 2nd bite.  I dug in too and what awaited was what tasted like that candy sweet, sweet potato casserole taste I remember from childhood but with a delightful fig linger on the palate that takes it to the next level.


Here's what you'll need to make this ultimate Fall comfort food:
(Serves 2)

1 large sweet potato
1 oz Trader Joe's Light Cream Cheese
1/2 tbsp vanilla paste
1/2 tbsp Trader Joe's Fig Butter
10 mini marshmallows
1 packet of Stevia (optional)
Pumpkin Pie Spice

Preheat oven to 400 and grab your sweet potato.




Poke sweet potato with a corn cob holder 4x (or a fork)  Microwave for 4 1/2 minutes.



Cut the sweet potato in half with a sharp knife.


Scoop out the insides...



 and put into a microwave safe bowl.


Add cream cheese, fig butter, vanilla paste and mix until combined well.  (Look at that vanilla studded goodness in that paste...drool!)


Give it a little taste and if you like your sweet potato innards a little sweeter, add the packet of Stevia or your favorite calorie free sweetener and mix.  Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds.  (Note dots of vanilla throughout.  I can barely stand it)


Scoop into the sweet potato shells and dot with 5 mini marshmallows per shell.  (This is where an intelligent person would've remembered to take the shot of piling the mixture into the shells but I know you guys are smart enough to know how to divide the sweet potato mixture in half and spoon it inside and add 5 marshmallows to the top.  So instead, numb skull here is going to insert a pic of the marshmallows because it's apparently more important that the main step.  *rolling eyes*)


Bake in oven until the marshmallows are puffy and slightly brown on top so they melt down and seep into the sweet potato stuffing.  Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice.


Warm fuzzy in the tummy.  I <3 you Fall!

Nutritional Information (serving size half sweet potato):  Calories 194  Total Fat 3g  Sat Fat 2g  Cholesterol 8mg  Sodium 94mg  Potassium 428mg  Total Carbs 35g  Fiber 3g  Sugars 21g  Protein 4g  Vitamin A 110%  Vitamin C 21%  Calcium 7%  Iron 5%

This recipe was linked to Chef in Training and Lil Luna.
====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

12 comments:

  1. Those are BRILLIANT! I love candied sweet potatoes and these could not be any cuter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! They are SOOOO good and I can't wait to make them again! I'd make them for Thanksgiving but my family is a little less adventurous in the culinary dept. HA!

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about how to use up the poor lil sweet potatoes I found on the bottom shelf of my pantry cabinet this weekend. This totally fits the bill - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit this looks and sounds great, although I've never been a particular fan of sweet potato casserole. Or, in my case because we're from the south, the yam equivalent. I AM intrigued by the fig butter. I wish we had a Trader Joe's near here, so I could try all these interesting butters you cook with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like sweet potato casserole either, this is WAY better if I do say so myself plus the fact you can make it for one or two without making a mess is appealing to me. You can make your own fig butter if you're feeling ambitious.

      http://oursimplelife-sc.com/2011/08/03/fig-butter-recipe/

      Delete
  4. This looks SOOO yummy and is perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was afraid you were going to add ACTUAL figs to this, and I am just not a fan. But this? This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)