Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Red Pepper Marinara Sauce

I have always wanted to make my own marinara sauce.  When I picked up an emulsion blender, it was the first thing I busted out and I was so happy with the results, I thought I'd share them!


This pot o' delicious can be used for a chili base, lasagna roll ups, spaghetti, sausage pepper paninis or anything you use regular marinara sauce for but you'll get an extra kick.  Yeah baby!

Here's what you'll need:

1 28 oz can Dei Fratelli Tomato Puree
1 28 oz can Trader Joe's Plum Tomatoes with Basil
1 jar Frieda's Roasted Red Peppers, drained of liquid
2 heads of roasted garlic (no olive oil use for roasting)
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp parsley
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp maple sugar (or regular granulated)

Before you get going, set your oven to 450 and roast yourself some garlic.  Contrary to popular belief, you do not need olive oil to roast garlic.  Put two heads of garlic with the tops cut off in the middle of a piece of foil then pull the foil ends up and close tightly so it looks like a big head of garlic.  Roast the garlic for 40 minutes

Drain the liquid from the roasted red peppers.


In a crock pot, add the plum tomatoes, tomato puree and on top add the roasted red peppers.

Grab the emulsion blender and blend until smooth.  (You could also use a blender or food processor)

Mmmmm!



Time to jazz it up!  If you have fresh herbs on hand, cut 'em up.





Add them to the sauce.


Then add your dry spices and sugar.


When your garlic is done roasting, squeeze them into the sauce and give a good mix.  Let it bubble bubble toil and trouble...


Enjoy on your favorite Italian dish!  (This freezes well!)


Nutritional Information per 1/2 cup serving:  Calories 40  Sodium 182mg  Potassium 19mg  Total Carbs 9g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 4g  Protein 2g  Vitamin A  27%  Vitamin C 66%  Calcium 6%  Iron 7%

In case you're into those made up holidays, it's apparently National Candy Corn Day.  If you happened to miss my Candy Corn Stalk Cookies, click here to be redirected to candy corn goodness.


====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. Prefer social media? I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

13 comments:

  1. I admit that I was afraid this would be too spicy since I don't like my spaghetti spicy like that. But this has just the right amount. The red peppers mixed in actually give it a nice smooth texture and amp the flavor up just enough so that you don't feel like you're missing out on something special just because you're eating a healthier sauce. You rocked it. As usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know you're kind of a palate wuss when it comes-a to da spicy meata-balls but I thought you might like this. This might be the base for the next batch o' chili! YUM!

      Delete
  2. That looks fantastic! Next spaghetti night is definitely going to be this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good! I just recently roasted my first head of garlic - thanks for the tip about no oil. This sauce is a must try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, especially if you're going to add it to something else like a sauce like this, the oil isn't necessary. If it's going to be your primary spread on bread, then you can use 1/2 tsp to drizzle on top and rub in to still get the extra creaminess without the tons of extra calories.

      Delete
  4. Yummmm! Looks like I have anlother reason to get an immersion blender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had marinara sauce before but seeing what goodies go in it makes me really wanna try this recipe! Roasted red peppers and garlic is a winning addition to tomato sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, adding roasted red peppers is such a good idea! I just started making my own pasta sauce too and it is totally worth it. Although the jarred stuff is still good in a pinch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delish and super cozy and warm! I've been dying for an immersion blender too! Christmas maybe?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so trying this sauce! I have tried many a recipe for marinara sauce/spaghetti sauce and something has always fallen flat for me. I'm a spicy gal, so this is right up my alley. ALL of your food is yummy, so I have no doubt this will be spectacular too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)