Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Memorial Day weekend recap

(This post contains an affiliate link which helps keep this blog running.  See the Disclaimer page for more info.)

Happy Tuesday all.

What a freakin' weekend.  Last Thursday was really good.  A friend of mine came over for lunch.  I tried to keep it somewhat healthy.  I dug up our out of control hosta and divided half of one into two, and she's going to plant them at their house.  It's kind of nice to know it'll live on with my friend and her new husband.  We had such a good time and I jokingly (but kind of seriously) told her I didn't trust anyone in our family to follow through with our final wishes, so we're counting on her.  To my surprise, she was all over it and said she would do whatever we wanted, wherever we wanted and would say whatever we wanted if we wanted something specific read.  I've got to say it kind of gave us a little peace of mind.  I know even if we lost touch right now, she would still do it. 

Friday we got this new patio umbrella.  It's an 11' beast that I wanted to get in a temporary position to see if we could gain back some space on the patio before getting it redone.  I've gotta say we're super happy with how much it covers from nosy neighbors and that can tilt to give a total "yeah, we're blocking you" tilt to it that is almost comical.  As far as the patio, at this point, we're in a holding pattern because despite the fact we were approved 18 years ago, apparently, the new HOA feels that replacing the same area needs to be approved again and it could take up to 30 days.  *facepalm*  I was getting frustrated the later it got and said we'd pick it up again in the morning.

Saturday came, and despite being up since 7am, I wanted the Mr to sleep because he did a lot of hard work the day before.  So we didn't get up until 9am and got back to it.  We moved it and were getting the rest of the patio into some kind of shape to use at least temporarily until we heard back.  I was ready to start our day before it got too gross hot and the Mr asked to play devil's advocate.  I told him I was not in a mental place to play "what if's" and hoped he'd understand.  Well, 5 minutes later, he's talking about what if the A/C went out.  *twitch*  It's 22 years old, and we've had to have it refilled with freon twice in the past few years.  Last year the dude said we could probably squeeze out 2 more years or so and the price he quoted was more than I cared to think about and I thought last year we agreed to wait the two years and take our chances since it's running just fine.  So this was really the last thing on my mind, and if we're dropping almost $5000 on a patio that already puts a major lump in my throat, you're proposing we drop close to $10K potentially on a new HVAC system?  I had a meltdown, twas not a great day for either of us and let's just say by the end of the day, he learned that "playing devil's advocate" will cost him $7000.  In two weeks, a new HVAC for us. 

Sunday, we had brunch then made a few returns and started our 4-hour grocery trek.  Four. Hours.  We both have no idea why it took that long.  Well, me trying to find a Father's Day card that fits my situation took 20 minutes and the check out was a 20-minute wait as well so 40 minutes in Target for just those two things.  By the time we got home, it was like 7:15pm, and we still had to work out.  Neither of us wanted to do it, but we did.  So we didn't eat until 9:00pm and were starving.

Yesterday, I ended up having to work due to new internet crap, and the Mr had to help me, so I was not pleased.  Then we did our HIIT workout, had a big ol' cookout and caught up on the DVR a bit, took a nap (well, he did) and then it was dinner time so we did that and that brought us to the end of the day.

How was your weekend?

Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )  Some posts may contain affiliate links which help keep this blog running.  See the Disclaimer page for more info.


  1. That is a good recap of it all. Very expensive lesson learned by me, but I guess I feel a little relieved in just proactively replacing the HVAC system versus waiting for it to die on its own schedule, because we know that always happens at the worst possible time.

    1. You know I go all in. The look on your face when I told you we had an A/C appt 2 hours later was kinda priceless. ;-)

  2. Wow, that sounds like a busy and stressful weekend, with a little veg time, which is sooooo needed for holiday weekends!

    I saw my uncle on Saturday, then did a lot of house chores, which made me happy because I had very little to do on Sunday. =o) I can truly say this was a good weekend for getting plenty of downtime in between errands. It was a flaming fireball of heat all weekend, so momma stayed indoors as much as possible. LOL


Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)