Thursday, June 26, 2014

Hooky for Health

I was informed earlier this week I am being kidnapped and the Mr is taking a hooky day.  Ferris isn't the only one who can take a day off, yo.

Usually I am the one trying to talk him into taking a day off so this rarity of instigation is quite welcome.  Not quite sure what we're doing but I know it's a road trip and we're getting up early so I can go back to sleep in the car...HA!

When I was a kid, my mom would let me choose a day during the holidays, I would play hooky and we'd take the bus downtown to look at the Christmas windows, visit Santa and create wonderful memories.  I wasn't jonesing for a perfect attendance award so I'd much rather have those days each year to feel the magic of the season with my mommy and she can blame those days for my obsession with Christmas, my affinity for the city and the reason I cry when I hear Petula Clark sing Downtown.

Health Magazine says that hooky days are actually good for you...

There’s a reason it’s called a mental-health day. Studies confirm that time off—whether on a trip out of Dodge or a 24-hour staycation—relieves stress, lowering your blood pressure and your risk for heart disease. It also promotes creative thinking (attention, bosses!). And women in a 2005 study who took two or more vacations per year were less likely to be depressed than women who took one every two years.

Can’t swing more than a few days away? No problem: The length of a vacation had no bearing on how happy it made people, according to a recent study in the journal Applied Research in the Quality of Life. What’s more, the biggest thrill came before the vacation. So spread around the joy of that sweet anticipation by planning short jaunts throughout the year instead of one big blowout trip. 
So if it's a published fact, I say we should all imbibe in the occasional hooky day!

When was the last time you took a hooky day?  What was the best hooky day you ever took?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

4 comments:

  1. It's been so long I can't remember it. I do remember letting my youngest son attend a national championship celebration with our Cornhusker football team with his older college-aged brother, probably in 1995 or 1996, allowing the younger one to skip school for the day. I didn't go, I was too fat to do all that walking. Sad. But at least they have those memories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a good question! I've definitely taken hooky days for myself and with my kids but picking a favorite is impossible! :-) But now that you mention it, I think it might be about time for a new hooky day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, this happens to be a 4 day week for me 'cuz I had some s(l)ick leave just beggin to be used. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from vacation, I've never had a hooky day. =o( I haven't called in sick for work in over a decade--and when I did it was because I had kidney stones so I couldn't even fake it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)