Monday, August 3, 2015

Fair food, meltdown and bouncy brain

What a roller coaster weekend.

It's the start of carnival season so we got our annual 'fair food fix' for the year.  We skipped breakfast and got there early and I headed straight for the baby elephant ear stand for breakfast.


What!?  In Hawaii these are called malasadas and one baby elephant ear equals two malasadas...I don't regret it!  :-)  We always seem to be disappointed with the entrees we get there.  I got a corn dog and it was pardon my French, total shit.  I should've asked for a fresh one instead of the heat lamp version.  I did have a bite of the Mr's brat and it was good so at least next year we'll know what to go for and what to skip.  But it'll probably be a year or two just because if I want fried dough, I can make it myself at home instead of paying $20 just to get in to have access to it.  I know, cheapskate.  We actually ran into our friends there and stood around and chatted for probably 30-45 minutes.  I think the antique dealer was getting antsy like "pay for your crap or get the hell outta here!"  But it was nice to see them even if we just saw them 2 weeks ago.

Sunday was not a great day.  We were supposed to have a paddleboarding lesson and when I checked in with the girl on Friday, she said she forgot she had a baby's birthday party to go to and she didn't think she could fit everything in.  I told her that was fine and she is a super busy person so I'm glad when I can snag time with her but it just caught me wrong because I felt like 'okay, when were you going to actually tell me?'  Then I offered to take a family member out and they always check social media so I know he probably just saw the first line preview, pretended not to read it and was going to give me the lame "oh, I didn't see this in time" crap.  I know this because it's the same crap I pull from time to time so I just deleted the conversation so he didn't even have to bother.  I had some crap to air out with the Mr and more deterioration with grandma left me a sobbing, heaving mess.  We just wasted the day inside whilst I had my undies in a twist wondering why I seem to be the person who has to do the upkeep on relationships my whole life.  I always give more than I get from people and don't ask for a friggin' badge or anything but I'm sorry, I feel a little under appreciated and rejected by people who aren't supposed to treat people they love that way.  It was good to air it and even if no one wanted to paddle with us, I still planned to do it anyway in the evening.


By that time I had a seething cry migraine and hoped dinner would help.  Tropical BBQ chicken pizza and half a sweet potato with pumpkin pie spice and 1 tsp of honey.  Sooo friggin' good but also did nothing to help my headache.  So on the way to the boat launch, I took some Excedrin.
As we got the vessels blown up, it looked like the water level rose a good foot since we were there Thursday and it was incredibly choppy.  I wasn't sure how we were going to fare in it.  I don't mind it (except for the land sickness when it's over like I have as I'm typing) but the Mr on his paddleboard has a tougher time and really has to fight it to balance and stay afloat.  He did so good and he was fine for most of the way out until he was trying to stay out of my way and just as I was telling him to stay put, he went over for the first time.  It was about 35 feet deep where we were and he had to get back on.  I saw as he started to pull that the board was too light and was going to flip on him so I paddled over and held the side so he could pull himself back up.  I was actually really proud of him because I know how hard it is to get back on those damn things when you can't touch the bottom and this thing sits pretty high off the water.  We took a bit of a break and enjoyed the scenery.



We started heading back as the sun ducked behind the trees and the chop kept up.  He kept mentioning he wanted to peek at the bridge where we were the other night to see if it was choppy there or not and despite really getting chucked around on the way back, I didn't mind going over there.  We were rewarded with a wonderful view of the sunset.  We turned our little lights on our vessels as required by law and the ranger came by to check on us and we passed inspection and he powered on.

It was calmer over there and the colors were beautiful.  As the sun really went to sleep, the Mr wanted to head back.  Of course the water kicked up even worse and we really had to dig in but I had to snap a pic of him as we were heading back.



It looks much lighter than it was.  We made it back to the boat ramp and it was dark.  Thank goodness for lights!  We packed up pretty quickly and were home by 9:45pm.  I got a decent little burn in.



Sadly the land sickness was real for both of us.  I wish I could say my Sea Bands helped me like they did him but I'm a bouncy mess right now.  Hopefully when you're all reading this, it will have subsided.  It was like the ocean out there.  Yeesh.

EDIT:  I didn't sleep a wink last night, virtually bouncing all night long from the inner ear imbalance.  I was praying for relief in the form of sleep but the only thing that kept falling asleep were my arms.  Awesome.  Hoping the swaying feeling goes away today, I'm super nauseous and looking forward to feeling a little more stable at some point today.

What did you do this weekend?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

12 comments:

  1. I love how that pic of you looking at the sunset turned out, especially seeing your hand on my board. It shows how we "dock" with each other and rest or take a moment to enjoy a sunset. We make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice when we can dock and take a second to chat and enjoy our surroundings! :-)

      Delete
  2. I always thought I got motion sickness when we're out on our sailboat but now I think it's actually vertigo-not fun stuff!

    I had a full weekend with co-hosting my sister's baby shower and then church and beach time yesterday (6 foot waves on Lake Michigan!). And then last night we relaxed outside and watched a big storm come in :) A pretty good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not fun at all and I knew I was going to be in for it on that choppy water. I think I may have to skip out on those conditions in the future, I just can't handle feeling like this. Hoping wearing my acupressure bands will eventually help.

      Sounds like you had a fun weekend! Glad everyone is well after that storm. I heard Glen Arbor got hit pretty bad.

      Delete
  3. I hope you're feeling better by now.

    Your fair food story made me laugh a little. Our fair will be in a couple weeks, and I'm dreading it. We don't have to pay admission, but the price of rides and games is crazy high. Not to mention the fact that the food vendors seem to have settled on $8 for everything. No way am I paying that for lemonade or funnel cake. I'd skip altogether, but the boy is looking forward to going.

    This weekend wasn't exciting here. Saturday the boy played with his friends all day, they were back and forth between my house and their house. It was really nice to hear all the laughing and that they had a good time, but it did mean I didn't get anything done because when they were here they were in the pool and I had to play lifeguard.

    Sunday I got a few groceries and picked up the house a bit. Then I read a book and didn't get the bigger projects I'd planned done. During the school year I have no time to do projects, then in the summer I feel like there's no pressure to get them done, but really I go back to work in 2 weeks and I have so much still to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh the places you go and the money you pay for the kiddos. But he'll have fond memories of that. Everything we got was $5 and I think one or two $8 from food to drinks. I think we dropped $50 and after 4 hours we could've gotten more but I said I was over getting financially violated for crappy food. I could run a better food place. Too bad there's so much money involved.

      Sounds like a relaxing weekend. 2 weeks! Wow!

      Delete
  4. Love the sunset pictures!! I was looking at sunsets just like these online over the weekend up in the Northwoods fantasizing about a future vacation. This weekend my mom came over for my birthday and we had a grand day. I took her and the pooches out for a drive in the country, then came home and ordered food from Longhorn Steakhouse which the hubs went and picked up. Then took some pics of her and one of the dogs that we didn't have pictures with in our backyard on the wrought iron bench that sits underneath one of the trees. Then she and I continued to sit there for 2 hours just gabbing away. She bought me a beautiful aquamarine cross (her favorite gem color) that I will always treasure. She bought some other things but told me not to open the card right then. So I knew it was going to be a whammy. Sure enough, I read it after she had gone home that night and I bawled and bawled. It's the most beautiful card and what she wrote was so incredibly humbling. The hubs even read it and got teary and just held me while I got the tears out. It was truly the most precious day, and knowing it was my last birthday with her made it all the more special. Tomorrow I'll go with her back downtown to Chicago at Rush to meet with her oncology team and with hospice to get that going. Sunday was just grocery shopping and a wee load of laundry and that was it. =o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you got to spend a good day with your mom for your birthday. (I hope you got my ecard!) I know it has to be so hard to know it's your last birthday with her but one you knew to treasure. So many people can't remember the things said or talked about with their loved ones before the end. I suppose it's the only good thing about advanced warning. Doesn't make it any easier.

      Delete
    2. I didn't get your e-card -- rats! I had nothing that went in my spam mail either because I check that all the time (amazing what does go in there but really shouldn't. I pay a bill and the receipt goes to spam--makes no sense). But thank you for thinking of me!! xoxoxo

      Delete
    3. DAMN YOU HALLMARK! Time got away from me so I sent a lame ecard with a piece of toast singing and wishing you warm, crunchy wishes. They probably didn't send it because I didn't sign up to PAY for their ecard program. Well, I was thinking of you and hoping you had a good day which it sounds like you did.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures and I'm so sorry you're not feeling well!!! And I do the same thing with friendships many times...it's so frustrating to feel like you're always the one doing the reaching out. Have a good week girlie and hope you snap right back to being 100%!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope to be feeling better soon! Between seasickness and stress I was already carrying, it made for a not so great combo. Oy. It can be very frustrating to keep the relationships up and feel like "well damn man, why am I always the one planning everything, getting in touch with you?" There will be a nice long blog on that one tomorrow. ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)