Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Maple Sriracha Chicken Satay

I'm not a Thai food lover.  I've tried it and I'm just not a fan.  So I honestly have no clue what made me decide to create this baby but man am I glad I did!




The sweetness of the maple peanut butter coupled with the lingering tingle of Sriracha sauce is an awesome combo and honestly, you could pour that sauce on anything and it would be awesome.  Chicken, shrimp, flank steak, a boot.  You get what I mean.  The other thing I love about this?  It's SUPER simple and the sauce is made in the microwave!  Yeah baby!   Let's get to it.

Maple Sriracha Chicken Satay
(2 servings)

8 oz Trader Joe's chicken breast tenderloins
3 tbsp Trader Joe's low sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp Mighty Maple Peanut Butter
1 tsp Sriracha sauce for mild (1 1/2 tsp for a nice but not overpowering heat)
1 tbsp Cafe Iris Pineapple Sesame Sauce (available at Whole Foods)

In a microwave safe bowl, add the chicken stock, peanut butter, sriracha and pineapple sesame sauce.


Microwave for 30 seconds, stir.  (The sauce will be thin and watery at first) Repeat this process for a total of three times/90 seconds with a stir every 30 seconds.  At this point the sauce should coat the back of your spoon and it will thicken slightly as it cools.


Put 1 tbsp of your sauce on the chicken, coating both sides.  (This makes the chicken incredibly tender; don't skip it.)  Marinate for 20 minutes to an hour then thread a bamboo skewer through each piece of chicken.


Using an indoor grill pan (or fire up the grill...give it a test run!), grill the chicken over a medium heat so the sugar in the peanut butter doesn't caramelize to the pan and stick.  I won't tell you how I know that.  Make sure it's cooked all the way through before serving.  (You can finish it off in the oven if you're unsure)


Add the rest of the sauce to all of the chicken.  Quick, easy and delicious!


I've paired this with black barley for the pics but you can add it to tofu noodles, brown rice, a bed of steamed veggies or whatever you like.

Nutritional information for chicken and sauce only per serving:  Calories  244  Total Fat 9g  Sat Fat 1g  Cholesterol 65mg  Sodium 194mg  Total Carbs 15g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 13g  Protein 29g  Vitamin C  2%  Calcium 3%  Iron 7%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

12 comments:

  1. I love this! It is like an exotic meal but something you were able to whip up seemingly easily. I know others will love it too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised how much I love it too! That sauce is so easy and you can pair it with pretty much anything like the shrimp we had last night. Ono!

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious! I will have to go buy all the ingredients. And I love that it's for two so if I don't like it, I've only got one extra serving lol

    Where do you get that PB??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much anywhere. Any grocery store, World Market, Walmart, etc.

      Delete
  3. That sounds yummy. I haven't seen maple peanut butter here (and believe me, if it was here I'd have been all over that) but I could add a touch of maple syrup or maple extract to regular PB. The pineapple sesame stuff will be harder, I'm not sure how to replicate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mighty Maple Peanut Butter is a lot easier to find than you think. If you have a Walmart or World Market in your area, they carry them if your big box grocery store doesn't

      Honestly, you could just leave out the pineapple sauce and add 1 tbsp extra broth. It doesn't add a whole lot taste wise to it since peanut butter and sriracha are the prominent flavors.

      Delete
  4. Anything with Sriracha I will eat) I do this with coconut manna + sriracha...without too much sweetness...
    Looks yum!!!

    I am into red quinoa nowadays..trying to stay off off white rice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yum, that sauce looks absolutely incredible! Why have I never thought to add sriracha to peanut sauce before?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will certainly try this- I love thai food. I also had my dh try making something like your bbq chicken naan last night- he threw the chicken together and made caramelized onions- he and my son had theirs on naan I had mine on jasmine rice and it was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing all your flavorful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm stealing this one for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trader Joes is a store? Maple PB sounds to DIE for honestly! I'll look at my local grocery and see what I can find, this recipe looks way too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)