Friday, February 8, 2013

Grocery store run in and Food Journal Friday

After my chiro visit, I stopped by the grocery store. I loved it because it was about 10:45am or so and the store was filled with old people. Lots of old couples, little old ladies on scooters and a table full of old guys meeting for a cruller in the cafe. I must've had a dopey grin on my face as I was grabbing a new to me fruit and I noticed a little old lady smiling at me. I smiled back and said hello and she said "that's nice to see." I said "what's that?" and she replied "you grocery shop like anything is possible." I laughed and said it had been a while since I tried a new fruit and picking something out made me happy so I probably looked pretty silly since I tend to forget there are people around me. "Never lose that, dear!" she said walking away. How I wanted to hug her. Old people rock.

Here are some of the things I picked up...

I still sigh when I see the word Hawaiian on a food.  I'm not at all counting down to our vacay.
I've been missing basil and I'm hoping I can keep this bad boy alive long enough to transplant in the spring.

The new to me fruit that prompted the exchange with the lady at the grocery store.  Prickly pear cactus.

I made "weekend burgers" made with half 80/20 and half 96/4.  If we're in the mood for burgers on the weekend, this will be our new go to for a few months which will save us 500 calories between a meal of bacon cheeseburger and fries.  But I know our bacon has no nitrates, no extra salt is added, bun is healthy and fries are baked.
Now that I've made myself hungry, let's eat!

Sunday was sweet and spicy quesadillas  Chicken with picante and sriracha sauce and pineapple with TJ's mini cheddar chipotle bites. Calories:  505


Monday was garlic and herb baked tilapia over TJ's quinoa duo.  Calories:  416


Tuesday was the day I filled my weird fish stick craving (I haven't had them in like 5 years).  We had a serving and a half with 1 tbsp light miracle whip and grilled asparagus with a sprinkle of asiago.  Calories:  528


Wednesday I wasn't in the mood for a big production for dinner so that awesome TJ's ricotta spinach ravioli saved the day with a side of brussels.  Calories:  433


Thursday was fajitas with onions, arugula and red peppers with a side of brussels and half a prickly pear cactus.  The sign said the PPC had "intense berry flavor."  The sign lied.  There were so many seeds you couldn't spit them out if you tried and trust me, they would be uh..."unpleasant" when they showed up again.  Too bad, the flesh was tasty.  Calories:  556


Not really sure what we have planned for the weekend other than the Mr is taking a music class in the morning.  I'll have to see what kind of mischief we can get in.

Anything planned for the weekend?  Did you have any incidents with strangers that made you smile?  (Not that kind, ya perv!)


====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

24 comments:

  1. That was nice what the lady said to you. You didn't tell me about that so this was a nice little surprise to read about this morning. And the meal you made last night really took care of my fajita craving that has been brewing for awhile so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was nice. I'd like to make a sign and hang it in the kitchen! Glad I could satisfy the sizzling fah-jight-a craving. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi. Prickly pears are very very common where I come from (Malta). I don't like them for your exact same reason - the seeds, however ppl usually swallow the seeds. Eating a lot of prickly pears can make you constipated (all the seeds).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...why does that not surprise me!? I suppose I'll save them for if I'm lost in a desert but not seek 'em out otherwise. Glad I can say I've tried them though. :)

      Delete
  3. I love prickly pear fruit, but it really is a huge pain. I've had it fresh off the cactus and by the time you get all the thorns out of the fruit (and usually into my thumb) it's barely worth the hassle. I've also had it candied and made into wine. The candy was ok, the wine made me sick (I think it was an allergic reaction to another ingredient).

    This weekend is all about the little boy. He has basketball Saturday morning and then he's in a school play Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Sometime in there I'll have to fit in shopping and regular weekend chores. Hopefully next weekend will be more "want to" and less "have to".

    New stuff - tried a new pizza dough recipe last weekend that I won't be using again, hubby made chicken chunk "boneless wings" that came out fantastic, and I ordered a new cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think wine would be good but sorry the kind you had didn't agree with you. :( Sounds like the little boy is gonna be a happy one! I just saw Ina Garten's pizza dough last week and it looked easy, so I might give that a go next weekend. Mmm, boneless wings, the Mr would be all over those babies!

      Delete
  4. When do you leave for Hawaii? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of months! Some lard had better cooperate and vacate ASAP!

      Delete
  5. Now when you pick a pawpaw Or a prickly pear And you prick a raw paw Next time beware Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw When you pick a pear Try to use the claw But you don't need to use the claw When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw Have I given you a clue ?

    The bare necessities of life will come to you They'll come to you!


    Hehe sorry the prickly pear always reminds me of tat song from jungle book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha to Manasa^.....lol.

    I love what the lady said! Sweetest comment ever!!!!!!!

    Best thing I ate this week was a multi grain pasta with a grilled chicken breast and I had a sauce with light Alfredo, spinach, squash, mushrooms..it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I think accosting 80 year olds with hugs might be against some law though. But I'm seriously thinking about hanging that in my kitchen! Mmm, that dinner sounds amazing! YUM!

      Delete
  7. The meals look so good. I have been sick all week and since i can't have canned soups I have been living on gluten free toast, fruit and hard boiled eggs. I know- I live it up.
    Hopefully the weekend will be better. We have a lovely stew planned for tomorrow we'll cook all day in the snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man, I was hoping you were feeling better by now. Hang in there and hunker down in the storm!

      Delete
  8. After months of craving foods that didn't serve my weight reduction intentions, I'm finally craving the more healthy ones again. Best discovery: despite having a pretty strong taste on its own, red chard works fine in green smoothies, with no overwhelming flavor to interfere with the fruits I put in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good discovery! Might have to put that on the "to try" list!

      Delete
  9. I wanna be one of those sweet old ladies when I grow up, not one of the cranky ones you run into now and then. We have dry weather in the forecast for the weekend (although cold), so I'm hoping to spend at least some time outside on a long run and starting to clean up my pathetic yard. Have a great weekend whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I want to be a good mixture of sweet and feisty. Enjoy your time outside and get that yard lookin' sassy baby!

      Delete
  10. Your weekend burgers look really tasty. Did you freeze the burgers stuffed? I love Laughing Cow but never thought about using it to stuff burgers. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! That way I can just sear them up, then finish them off in the oven while I'm bringing home the bacon and frying it up in a pan. (Points if you know what commercial I'm referring to!) I started stuffing my burgers with that last year and it's been a BIG hit! You'll love it!

      Delete
    2. Enjoli. It's one of those "songs" that is forever embedded in my brain. Lol

      Delete
  11. I paid for somebody's breakfast this morning and left before they could seek me out. I love doing that. I used to do that on the toll road before I-Pass came out. I'd pay the toll for the people behind me then take off down the highway. Just knowing that I made someone smile over an anonymous act makes me happy. Hopefully they'll ripple on other people and it keeps going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so AWESOME! There is nothing better than seeing there are still good people out there in the world willing to do something nice for complete strangers. I hope it comes back to you ten fold!

      Delete
  12. Those quesadillas look so messy and delicious! I have quesadillas on the menu this week too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)