Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper Sloppy Joes

One day as I was making chili, I accidentally grabbed ground cloves instead of ground cumin.  I was not happy.  I scraped it off the top and thought I got it all.  I was wrong.  As I ate that batch of chili, I kept saying how it tasted like sloppy joes.  *insert light bulb over head*  I said as the picnic and grilling season started coming around that I would make that with the intent of actually having sloppy joes.  Sometimes culinary accidents are a wonderful thing...


What I love about this stuff is that it's pretty low sodium but so full of flavor and you can adjust it to your taste.  Here's what you'll need:

Roasted Red Pepper Sloppy Joe's
Serves 4

1 lb 90/10 ground chicken
1 cup Trader Joe's Low Sodium Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
1/2 small can Trader Joe's Organic Tomato Paste
1/4 cup red peppers, diced
1/4 cup onions, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4-1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black or white pepper
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika

In a small crock pot, add thawed ground chicken.  Let it got for an hour or until thoroughly cooked.  Drain most of the juices so it's not super runny when it's done.  Get a big spoon or spatula and break the chicken up so there are no big honkin' chunks.  (You know what I'm talking about!)  Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.  Let it go another hour on low.

This isn't really a put it in the crock pot all day kind of recipe, more for a "one pot meal" kind of thing.

If you want to put it in before you leave for work, you could do so on a "keep warm" setting but it cooks quickly so nothing hotter than "keep warm."  But when it's done, you will be one happy camper!




Nutritional Information per 4 oz of meat only-bun not included:  Calories 200  Total Fat 11g  Sat Fat 2g  Cholesterol 83mg  Sodium 124mg  Potassium 212mg Total Carbs 9g  Fiber 2g  Sugars 3g  Protein 20g  Vitamin A 22%  Vitamin C 44%  Calcium 1%  Iron 3%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious. I don't eat bread, so I would serve this over brown rice. I'm always looking for easy "go-to" recipes I can make for busy workweeks. I will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! Yes, I love it when a dish comes out different and takes a new direction on accident. Kinda like "not what you prayer for but..." I would have never tried cloves in this but I will now. I so wish I lived near a Trader Joe's ,that Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup sounds super. Maybe I can remember to buy some the next time I visit my kiddo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely stock up on some. It can be used for all kinds of things! I never would've used cloves either but I didn't realize that cloves is what gives that same taste as a canned sloppy joe sauce. Who knew?

      Delete
  3. It really does look good, and I'll keep it in my 'to try' recipes stack.

    Since the accident had a serendipitous outcome, I hesitate to make the suggestion lest we lose the opportunity for more...but I keep my 'sweet' spices and herbs separate from my 'savory' ones. I personally use two carousels in the cabinet to the right of the stove, handy for a right-handed person. The short containers are alphabetized in a circle around the outside of the carousel, with taller stuff in the middle. Probably the worst I could do to a recipe would be to accidentally get curry in place of cumin or vice-versa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question. What could be used instead of the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup? The nearest Trader Joes is over 100 miles away. This sounds REALLY amazing and I would love to try this one night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another company called Pacific Foods that has a version of the soup as well. (http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/creamy-soups/organic-light-sodium-red-pepper-and-tomato-all-natural-soup)

      It's sold at most big box grocery stores particularly health food stores and Whole Foods. If you use their 'light sodium' version, please be aware it will alter the nutritional info including upping the sodium by 55mg per serving.

      Delete
    2. Well, shoot. :( Whole Foods is also in Nashville with Trader Joes and is over 100 miles away. I'll have to look into it. I shall make these! I'm determined. :D

      Delete
    3. It's not just at Whole Foods, what I meant by 'big box' stores was like Publix, Safeway, Kroger, etc but you'd likely have more selection at a health food store like Whole Foods if you have one around. So you should be good to go.

      Just go to the organic section of your local grocery store and take a peek around. If you still can't find it and don't want to order online, you can prepare a low sodium tomato soup and add chopped roasted red peppers in there and it'll all meld together while it cooks and you should get similar results. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. This is definitely the way to have sloppy joes now (jowez as we like to call them). It's nice to feel like you're eating poorly when you aren't and then you feel extra special. This is why we've been successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love me some sloppy jowez! :-) Those are so good and I'm glad you like them. They make great leftovers too on a healthier english muffin and do a sloppy joe melt. Yum!

      Delete
  6. MMMMMMM!!! I lurve sloppy joes!!! I should really eat them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I looooove sloppy joes! And I love that you used that soup in these--such an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're food always looks so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will totally have to make these but probably with turkey. Those fruit kabobs look as good as the sloppy joe! Thanks for sharing. (Catching up on the blog roll after my 'vacation')

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)