Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Welcome Fall Door Sign

Finally I can say it...Happy Fall!!

If you have been following me for any length of time, you know I'm ALL about this time of year.  Matter of fact, I've had this project done and hung for three weeks because I've been that ready for the season!

For most of the year, we have a sign I bought from Banana Patch Studios on the door that says "Aloha."   It's kind of like a local land mark with our delivery guys so I wanted to keep the same general shape on the door so when holiday boxes started rolling in, I wouldn't confuse them.  But I also wanted to gussy up for Fall.  That's how this project came together.


When I was in an antique store, I stumbled across a few picket fence slats that had perfect weathered patina and I couldn't resist the price.  I picked a few of those bad boys up and got to work.


I knew I wanted it to say "Welcome Fall."  So I chose the fonts I wanted to use, printed them in outline form in a Word document to save on ink and I originally tried the ol' charcoal pencil on the back and trace on the front trick but it didn't work.  So just imagine me cutting the word out below and tracing with pencil onto the wood since I don't have one of those expensive cutting thingamabobs.


I did the same with the other word after I lined it up with the 'welcome' and traced it onto the wood as well.


You can see my handiwork here...


...and here.


I broke out my craft paint and began filling in the words.


I loved the way it looked so I trudged on.


I broke out other Fall themed colors for the word Fall and for shading on the welcome part.


I filled in "Fall" with a nice pumpkin orange.


Then I grabbed a toothpick and added yellow for shading to make the word pop.


I shaded the white 'welcome' with the cranberry color to make it pop.  (Ha, I said cranberry and pop.  Sorry, I flashed back to a cranberry salad recipe from my bridal shower.)


To hang the sign, I decided instead of the twine I was going to use that I had some pretty rust colored ribbon hanging around waiting to be used.


I drilled holes in either side and I put some scotch tape on the end (like a shoe lace) so I could thread it through then I knotted each end.


Then it was ready to hang.  I could have kept it plain like this, kind of the way our normal sign looks.


I had a twig wreath I usually put up with leaves tucked in and I hung the sign in front of it.


I'm so glad I was able to make this little sign to spruce up our wreath and to welcome Fall properly.  Now, bring on the cider, fuzzy socks and the distant scent of bonfires!



Happy Fall, y'all!

Linked up with:  The Shabby Nest, Blesser House, French Country Cottage, Tater Tots and Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Home Stories A to Z,  Heathered Nest, Memories by the Mile, Sand and Sisal, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Between Naps on the Porch, Mabey She Made It, Savvy Southern Style, Confessions of Serial DIYer
====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

17 comments:

  1. autumnation! I posted a 'Welcome' to Fall too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job. Now do about 20 more and sell 'em! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! That thing was a pain in my rump at times (more just realizing I needed to cut it instead of transfer paper working). If I can find more slats, I might consider it for next year. That remodel has put all Fall things on the back burner. It was like 'we're done...BAM...it's Fall!'

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I think your Mr. is right, you absolutely could sell them.. It's beautiful, but simple, and I can see a of people wanting one for their home. I know you like to have unique pieces though and once you make more and sell them it's not unique anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I had the time to crank some out for this season, I would but I think I'll have to start working on these come July so I'm better prepared. This summer just drained and the jump on Fall crafts for sale dwindled on me. I have no time management skills! LOL

      Delete
  4. You are so crafty. I wish I had a crafty bone in my body. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mama! My craftiness comes from my innate cheapness. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love this! I know that no two antique stores are alike so where else do you think I could find weathered wood slats? Other than the forest. LOL

    Yes, Autumn, you are now officially welcome. You may commence to saturating everything with pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I wish I knew! I love the look of them so I suppose if you know of a house that has crappy looking ones out front you could always say "hey, if you're looking to get rid of that eyesore fence, I can dig it up and take it off of your hands!" ;-) HA! I've looked everywhere I can think except Craigslist (we just can't do it, heard way too many horror stories) BUT if you want a vintage look, I'm betting you could use that Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. I head that's supposed to give a chippy finish but I haven't used it yet.

      Pumpkin and cider shall commence!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I've never heard of Miss Mustard Seed. I'll check it (her) out.

      Delete
  6. This is absolutely beautiful!!! Love it, love it, love it! And I must say, I really like the color of your door too. The combination if very striking! Be proud--you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I kind of like the contrast with the door too. :-)

      Delete
  7. This is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome! Thanks for linking to the Do Tell Tuesday party--hope to see you there again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy FALL!!!!! Woohoo!!! Awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)