Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Rosemary Honey Glazed Roasted Root Veggies

One of the veggies I picked up a few years ago on our effort to expand our culinary horizons was a turnip.  The only thing I knew of turnips was apparently people with no intention of paying their debts liked to say you couldn't get blood out of them.  I roasted them along with carrots and parsnips and fell in love.  So I knew as the colder temps approached, it was time to revamp a new comfort food favorite.  This could absolutely be a new favorite on your daily or holiday table.


Here's what you'll need:

7 Trader Joe's Organic Carrots of Many Colors (or you could use a mix of carrots and parsnips)
1 large turnip
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Beekman 1802 Raw Rosemary Honey
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp chives
Pepper


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Peel your carrots.  (That pile almost looks too pretty to throw away or compost!)


Wash and cut the ends off of your turnip.


Cut turnip into 1" cubes.


Cut carrots on a diagonal into 1-1 1/2" slices.


Mince the rosemary and chives.


Add cut veggies to a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over the top.


Add the rosemary and grate some fresh black pepper on top and toss to coat.


Spread out the veggies on a sheet pan that has a few sprays of canola oil cooking spray.


Roast for 7 minutes, loosen the veggies with a spatula and turn over.  Roast for another 7 minutes, flip veggies and roast no more than 5 more minutes until the veggies look like this.


Now it's time for some sweet and savory deliciousness.


Microwave the honey you'll need for 5 seconds to make it easier to drizzle.


Sprinkle the chives on top.


Use a spatula to toss the honey and chives to coat evenly.


Time to plate up.


Yes please.


Makes 4 delectable servings


Linked up with Sand & Sisal

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit I wasn't sure how much I would like this but honestly it is awesome. Great way to get some seriously healthy food while still pleasing your taste buds. You never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this looks so pretty! The colors and the glaze make it so inviting. And it sounds like it was a wonderful success! You are one patient gal to try these new recipes and tweak to your liking. A master chef, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turnip is a staple where I live! I eat it at least once a week. When my kids were younger they would sometimes complain about having to eat turnip, so a friend told me to sprinkle some brown sugar on the turnip while still hot. Let it sit for a minute then mash. The sugar sort of melts. My kids loved it, and to this day will only eat it if it has a little brown sugar on it! I boil turnip with carrots, cabbage and potato to have with roasted chicken or beef, and make a gravy with the "pot liquor" and drippings from the chicken/beef. I also add diced turnip to homemade soup and stews. I guess our ancestors liked turnip because it keeps well during the cold winter months in a root cellar, and we got used to eating it regularly. I'm going to try your recipe as well, looks so good, though it may be with regular carrots, haven't seen colored carrots for a while, and will improvise with the honey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)