Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Food Review: Trader Joe's Rice Cauliflower Stir Fry

I love me some homemade stir-fry.  It helps us feel like we're not missing out.  (Given we just had our first "real" Chinese take out a few weeks ago in eons, I can confirm, we're not really missing out by doing it our way.  Except for crab rangoon.  God, I love that stuff.  Huh?  What?)  

While perusing with the masses at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago, I spied this in the freezer section:


You guys have seen me post some stir fry meals where I rice my own cauliflower but I was feeling lazy and thought we could give it a try to see how it stacked up.

Here's a peek at the nutritional info and ingredients:


Pretty decent though I wish I'd paid more attention to the sodium, that's about 450mg of sodium if you split the bag compared to the 100mg we get if I DIY it and for twice the amount of cauliflower.  But still, not bad in the scheme of things.

Just basically dump it in a skillet frozen...



...and let it come to temperature.


I paired it with a nice mango glazed tuna filet.  So what did we think?


The flavor was really good but I know some of that is from the salt.  It was not nearly as filling as when I do it but if I'm not feeling like going through the whole shebang for healthy stir-fry, this could fit the bill sometimes.  If you're looking for a good, quick stir fry option then you should give it a try if you have a TJ's near you.  As a reminder, this IS  TJ's which means the likelihood of it sticking around long term is a crap shoot at best.  Stock up but don't get attached.

What are your favorite stir-fry ingredients?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

4 comments:

  1. I am surprised how much I like the riced cauliflower given how much I cannot stand cauliflower on its own. But in a good stir fry I can barely tell that it isn't regular rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! Gonna have to give cauliflower rice a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like something I'll have to try. Hopefully they will still have it next time I visit my folks and have a chance to get to Trader Joe's. They boy doesn't like peas or peppers though so I'll be trying it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny that I am reading this considering I made cauliflower fried rice for the first time yesterday lol but I love stir fry's. Usually I am lazy and go with the frozen stir fry mixes and a protein of choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)