Monday, March 28, 2016

Easter escapades

Easter weekend has come and gone.  I've gotta tell you, I'm glad it's over to a degree.  Saturday I decided to pre-shred the cheese I was going to need for the homemade mac and cheese.  I got over worrying about whether or not other people were going to like it or not and focused on the fact that I was bringing a dish that I knew every single ingredient.  

I decided to get started on my banana cream pies.  Unfortunately those aren't as "whole" as the mac and cheese but I get it once a year and was looking forward to it.  I don't use spray whipped cream but my family loves it.  I thought as long as you refrigerated it, you could pre-spray the top of the pie with it and since we only now had a mile to drive, all would be good.  I was wrong.  I'm just glad I didn't make two pies that way.  It was a soupy mess on top.  Even with scraping it off, it had already soaked the graham cracker crust so this was my reality...


I hope the trash can enjoyed it.  I told the Mr I had to get the hell out of the house since I'd already spent the morning doing a bunch of prep, making a big lunch and then the pie fiasco.  We got in the car and I immediately put on Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit because it's the only song that will allow me to rage properly.  So there the Mr and I were singing screaming it like we should've had flannel and a douchey backwards hat on.  I felt much better.  We ran a few errands and did some window shopping before grabbing dinner and heading home.  With all I'd experienced earlier in the day, cooking was not on my agenda.  

Then came Easter Sunday.  We started the day with a 1000 calorie workout from Fitness Blender because it just felt like the right thing to do.  Plus I thought perhaps flooding myself with exercise induced endorphins might balance me somehow.

I'll be honest, I was nervous...scared even to go to Grandma's.  I can't bear to see her because it turns me into a quivering heap.  Holidays are especially hard because this is how I remember many of my holidays...


After having our own celebration at home, we'd always go to grandma's and I'd have something the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus left at her place too.  Since I was the only grandkid for many years, you can imagine how she doted.

One thing that was never absent from her table was a platter of Russell Stover Easter eggs with jelly beans and I think Peeps.  (I could be wrong on that one)  She did always have these really bad eggs that were called marshmallow eggs but they weren't.  They were just kind of big jelly bean consistency but shaped like eggs and more bland.  Those always got tossed...or maybe she ate them when we all left, who knows.  But it wasn't Easter at Grandma's without that platter, so I made one.


My silver platter wasn't polished like hers was but we actually thought it was kind of cool in its current state...


Before it got switched, I already decided I was going to do the platter to see if it could spark a memory for her.  I ended up buying too many eggs and they wouldn't all fit and look right so the two maple creams that are her favorite were put in a small bag and set aside just for her.  Even if she doesn't remember they were her favorite...I do.

We slept late and had to pretty much go straight down to workout.  84 minutes of Fitness Blender hell with one of their 1000 calorie workouts.  (I burned 1275 and the Mr burned 900)  When we were done I made our shakes for post workout fuel since we hadn't had much in the way of sustenance other than a homemade prune oat bar before our workout so we didn't pass out.  Then I had to start getting my homemade mac and cheese together which entailed making a roux and all of that crap and then baking it.  I had very little time to get my shower, get ready and get the rest of the stuff out to be on time.  I took a quick pic for you guys of my replacement pie.


We ended up being 10 minutes late but got there with 3 other cars so it wasn't super obvious.  The first thing I see as I walk in is grandma, on the couch looking as though she's just died.  Literally.  She was in a deep sleep with her mouth wide open and I'm not talking a snore look, I'm talking Claire at the end of Six Feet Under look.

I went to the fridge to put the pies in there and my mom and aunt were in there.  My mom asked what I made and I said "banana cream pies" and she laughed and said "I made banana cream pudding."  My internal mercury was shooting through my body and all of those happy exercise endorphins bid me adieu.  I said "but I said I was making banana cream pies" with a slight irritation and she shot me serious attitude and said "well I haven't talked to you in a month so you didn't tell ME you were making it!"  I pointed to my aunt and said "I told HER!" and walked out to the car before I went ape sh*t.

As the Mr was making his way from the car I said "tappin' out."  He's like "we're leaving already?"  I said "no but guess what mom made?  Banana cream pudding."  He rolled his eyes and said "nice."  I went in the kitchen and helped out with getting the food together a little and then went to my mom and apologized for snapping but one of my pies bit the dust and if I'd known I didn't have to make it again, I wouldn't have.  She said it just sounded really good and since we never have it she thought she'd make it.  (Not that I've made it the past 3 years or anything but I wasn't going to say it because attitude would've been really evident at that point.)  There was some other crap that happened but I'm still processing how I feel about those things.

We enjoyed our plate of food and everyone really liked my mac and cheese.  There was some initial resistance when my aunt was poking the green egg pasta pieces with a spoon and said "are those jalapenos?"  I said "no, I know better, it's just colored Easter pasta."  There was only a wee little bit left and it went in the fridge for Grandma and her husband to have today or tomorrow.  Everyone seemed to enjoy the platter too.  They said that was always for the adults since the kids got baskets.  Grandma eventually woke up and they put her in a wheelchair and wheeled her over to the table.  My aunt fed her and she took one of the maple cream eggs I saved for her and cut it up and fed it to her.  Even though her eyes were closed as she ate, the maple eggs perked her right up.  It was nice to see a slight acknowledgment of one of her favorite foods.  My mom said she couldn't believe I remembered those were her favorite.

But the best thing I got from yesterday was this...


That's her rolling pin...the one she used to make her noodles.  It's mine now.  I'll treasure it for the rest of my life.

How was your weekend?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you were able to get your grandma's rolling pin. I know that means a lot to you and you deserve to have that. I also know she'd want nothing more than for you to have it. Thanks for the wonderful food you made this weekend. Not just for Easter but everything else too. Much appreciated and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you - what a treasure to get your grandma's rolling pin! I know you will treasure it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it was a stressful day, but there were some good moments in there as well. And to have the treasured rolling pin -- that had to make you SO happy!!! You'll smile every time you look at it, knowing the rich history behind it.

    My weekend was quiet and I did a lot of napping and reading. Can't wait to be able to drive by week's end because I have serious cabin fever. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your grandma enjoyed her maple egg. That rolling pin is going to give you many good years of memories, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parts of this post could have been written by me - if food I make for a holiday doesn't work out, I go ape shit.

    But the light at the end of the tunnel was scoring that amazeball rolling pin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...