Monday, December 28, 2015

Tappin' out

Wow...it's all over.

Funny how you end up feeling like Stitch under an 18 wheeler after the holidays...

(via tmblr) 
Of course the more I paid attention to the way people spoke of this holiday season, it seemed more like...

(via Pinterest)
My mom said they made cookies this year and some didn't turn out right and my aunt wanted to make a different recipe which made the day longer and she said while neither of them said it, they both knew it somehow wasn't the same this year.

We all know I didn't feel the same about it either and on Christmas morning next year, I am pushing to go to somewhere that is forecasted to get snow because I'm tapping out.  I'll still bake for the people that need it but I proposed that we move Christmas Eve with my mom to the weekend before, we leave mid-week to go to Vermont or someplace that is more likely to have snow (I know, they don't have it now,don't care) and give myself the gift of peace next year.  We'll lie and tell mom that we may go to his side that day and trust me when I tell you that is not an option for either of us.  It would be as much if not more hell and I'm tired of dreading Christmas Day.

ME!...Christmas freak!

That's what it's come down to...me waking up Christmas morning, having a great present opening session with my honey and as the hour approaches to get ready for the rest of the day...pit in stomach and/or panic attack.  This used to happen to me with his family...never in a million years did I think it would happen with mine!  When I think of how it was spent, the only people that appeared happy to be there were the little kids and that was only because they were getting presents.   Everyone else looked miserable, tired, actually cried or went to another room and shut the door to get away from everyone.  NOT my idea of a Merry Christmas.

I think the Mr was reluctant to go along with the idea of Christmas anywhere but home, thinking it was the ravings of a lunatic who was just done with Christmas but given several things that transpired, he agreed.  He's not crazy about it but realizes he's not up for the madness either.  I won't go into details but there were far more bad moments than good and it's something I refuse to put myself through anymore.  We have a big family gathering with the exact same people 4 days prior so it's not like I'd be missing out on seeing them.  The only people we wouldn't see would be my grandparents and as you all know, unfortunately grandma doesn't know Christmas Day from a Wednesday anymore.  There were some serious issues with her this time that tells ME it's time to pull the plug on dragging her out especially to large gatherings but no one else will feel that way.  (Her demeanor was fine, it was physical issues out of her control)  As far as my step-grandpa is concerned, we're kind of done with him.  His neglect of her ever growing needs, continuing to strip away her dignity for all to see coupled with my family's head in the sand attitude is more than I can tolerate on a normal day. much less Christmas Day.  I won't do it anymore.  We plan to make the whole traveling out of state for Christmas a one time thing but honestly, we both said we would've been happier skipping the "festivities" and playing with our toys and chillin'.  Given how much I busted my ass baking crap only to walk in on an already full dessert table and half of each dish left at the end.  I will move my spice cake from Christmas day to the Christmas gathering a few days prior.  It's apparent that by Christmas day everyone is tired of the sweets, brings their crap from home and dumps it on the table.  Not busting my hump anymore.

Oh and those noodles we fought so hard for?  They burned them.  I don't mean black noodles but you can't turn noodles on the "nuke" setting to get them done faster because it will burn the gravy!!!  They were completely unpalatable but because we fought so hard for them, we had to load up, smile and choke them down.  When fat people don't go back for seconds, there's a problem.  She asked if I wanted leftovers and of course I said yes and they went straight down the disposal when we got home.  The smell of them when the lid came off actually triggered my gag reflex.  Go ahead and do your dang cheap short cut food from here on out because I'm flexing my new motto..."if you don't care, I don't care."

So yeah.  We're done.  I'm actually more stressed thinking of how I'm going to tell my mom we're not doing Christmas next year so I should probably get that over with soon because not having a panic attack every day sounds like something I can get on board with.

Oh and I need sleep.  Like...big time.  Three days worth sounds about right.

So please, share that you had a better holiday!  It's all I wished for for you guys!

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

13 comments:

  1. It was a less than stellar Christmas with the exception of our time that morning and evening. So I think if we just cut it down to just those parts it should be good. I guess we'll find out next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was and other than our alone time, it was truly the worst Christmas of my life. That will not happen next year especially now that I have a confirmation for a cabin in the woods out of state. People are just going to have to deal with it.

      Delete
  2. Yuck that sounded so sucky, I am sorry you went through that!
    A cabin in the woods sounds like a refreshing change. I would rip the bandaid off quickly and tell Mom before the new year hits so she has a year to adjust. Once a tradition is broken you are free to move about the cabin so to speak. Sweet dreams Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, if yours seemed even remotely off, mine just made it sound WAY better! LOL

      Yeah, me who was touting tradition less than 2 weeks ago is waving the white flag on it. New tradition will be us, alone on Christmas Day. One day we may rejoin the fold but right now the thought of not being immersed in family ridiculousness on what is supposed to be the happiest day of the year sounds heavenly for the foreseeable future! I will get it over with soon. I figure she wouldn't believe I'd have something booked already because little did she know I already had cabins bookmarked just waiting to see how the holiday went! HA!

      Delete
  3. A cabin in the woods does sound nice. I'd like to say I'm sure you mom will understand, but I don't know her so I don't know that. I agree w/ Dawn though that that the sooner the better. If you tell her now while she remembers the not so great moments clearly rather than next fall when remembers the gathering fondly it might be easier.

    I'm sorry it went badly, I'm sorry your grandpa dragged your grandma out and still isn't caring for her properly, I'm sorry the adults in your family acted badly, and I'm sorry the noodles were burned. Maybe you can start a new tradition of noodles on New Year's (or whatever day) for just you and the Mr.

    I hope that your stress level is down, and that you enjoy whatever you have planned for New Years' Eve and Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she won't but it's because it's Christmas. If she stops to think about what would be missing, she'd have to eventually admit not much if she was honest with herself. But you're right, the more time passes, the more the crap fades.

      I like the idea of a small batch for the Mr and I. I'm thinking of FoodSaving some of our holiday favorites and bringing them along next year so we don't have to sacrifice anything. (And save some money (and hopefully pounds) since restaurants tend to jack up prices on special holiday menus)

      We got nothing planned and I intend to enjoy every minute of it! :) I hope you have something fun planned!

      Delete
  4. I am sorry your Christmas was so bad. Sounds like a scene from Christmas Vacation, without the funny moments. Our holiday was ok. My daughter spent most of it with her boyfriend, my son spent most of it with his girlfriend. I finally lost my mind and made them all spend a couple hours with me before bed playing Fibbage on the firestick. Next year I may not care where anyone is and just put on the movie channel and do my own thing. Since I work retail I can't take time off and go anywhere, but I can just plan to be with my Mr. and not put any extra effort into anything else that doesn't happen here. Yeah, sour grapes, but I am with you, why go through all this and ruin my holiday. I should enjoy it too. If we have snow next year maybe I will spend the day making a snowfort in the front yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for demanding some family togetherness before bed! (Now I must look up what Fibbage is! LOL) God bless you for working retail and not needing bail money. I salute you big time, lady! You know, before this Christmas, I might've said maybe a little sour grapes but now that I've been through the wringer, I feel like Christmas Day is sacred. Spend it in the way that makes you the happiest possible. If it's with family, great. If it's not, well then that's okay too. Just say "well be getting together, just not on Christmas...deal with it!" I want a pic of that snow fort and I hope we can do the same thing! Christmas Day Snow Forts for everyone!

      Delete
  5. I threw up the white flag in 2008, and have been so much happier for it! When I found myself downing large amounts of vodka to get through the day I knew my family and I deserved better. My feeling was, why are we getting all dressed up, spending the day with people we don't really care about (with a few exceptions) listening to gossip, bickering, and just general negative behavior, and eating crappy food on top of it when we could be at home, comfortable eating whatever we wanted. We now stay home (sometimes in our PJ's all day). I cook for my husband and daughter, his mother, his brother, and sometimes my father. Anyone else is welcome to stop in, leave the drama at the door or I'll boot them back out it and they all know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had to throw up the white flag as well but am glad you're happier for it. I know they're all trying in their own way but pretty much crap effort on everyone's part is no way to spend what is supposed to be the best day of the year. I dream of a day of drama free Christmas! So until some things change, I'll have to create my own! Keep on enjoying your new tradition!

      Delete
    2. I tried to get my husband to go away from Christmas through New Years so I didn't have to deal with anyone but he wouldn't bite. Maybe next year I'll try the cabin in the woods thing instead of "let's go to the beach for Christmas"! I think he thinks that I've finally gone off the deep end.

      Delete
  6. Oh honey, and you love Christmas so very much:/ Sleep definitely helps. I had a two hour nap yesterday and it was fabulous. I had some nice time off. Seeing my parents make it for Christmas eve made it really nice. But honestly they probably shouldn't make the trip again. And we will just be ok knowing that them not driving kept them safe. it was over too quickly but wonderful nonetheless. Happy New Year if i dont get to say it in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. That's why we're doing Christmas elsewhere next year to try to get back to basics. I will see my mom twice during Christmas week so I feel that's plenty and once with the rest of the family so I don't feel I'm going to be missing anything reclaiming Cmas Day.

      YAY for naps! It stinks when you realize it's safer for them being off the road than on it but there are just SO many extra people on the road, then if there's weather, it can be a nail biter until they're there or home. Do what will make everyone feel better.

      Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...