Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Protein Pancakes Fell Flat

The Mr and I used to be pretty good about trying at least one new to us thing per grocery trip.  I'd say we got out of the habit about two years ago.  This grocery trip I think I picked up two or three new to us things and while at Target, these protein pancakes caught my eye.


I love pancakes because let's face it, there's nothing more yummy for Sunday brunch when you're letting that syrup soak into fluffy goodness.  So I took a peek at the nutritional info and decided for the protein kick, it would be worth a go.


All you do is add water so that's convenient.  I gave it a stir and it appeared just like most pancake mixes.


While the texture looked a little different in the pan I wasn't going to judge.  I did want to make a silver dollar sized one for each of us with no doctoring.


Then I went to flip it.  See that texture of "cinnamon roll glaze that's been sitting out for 2 hours?"  Yeah, that freaked me out a bit and I felt no good could come of it.


I called in reinforcements.  Pumpkin pie spice...do your thing.


Dark chocolate chips and bananas, check.


Chopped macadamia nuts.  Check.


I pushed all of the accoutrements into the pancake mixture and covered it with batter so it wouldn't burn or melt out of the flapjack.


As you can see, despite being on the same temperature and timed flips, the cooking was uneven to say the least.  One was dark, the other in the same amount of time was super light and needed to stay in almost twice as long.


How did they taste?  Well...not great.  The Mr said my doctored ones were awesome and while the add on's did help quite a bit, they still weren't enough to save it for me.  Why?  The syrup does not absorb into the pancake.  The pumpkin spice wasn't even detectable at all and it was so dry, I had to take a drink after every bite.  Oddly enough, they also lost heat really fast.  I mean, if I do my pancakes last when getting everything together, they're still plenty warm when we eat them last.  With these, I did the eggs real quick (1 minute) and they were lukewarm at best and had to be reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds which didn't heat them much at all.  You can also see a sheen on top.  That's just plain pancake with no syrup or anything.


Now I could be picky about my pancakes, I guess and if protein is your goal, you could like these.  I wouldn't steer anyone away from them, they're just not our cup of tea.  I may give them to another family member who likes to fuel up on protein and see if he likes them.  I think I'm sticking to my Trader Joe's Pumpkin pancake mix.

Nice concept, just needs some work.

In the end, I don't want something that tastes good for protein pancakes...I want pancakes that taste like pancakes and just happen to have protein.

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

7 comments:

  1. Yeah it was all about the lack of ability to soak up syrup for me. You doctored them up nicely and they were certainly palatable but they weren't quite at satisfying as real pancakes. If you want protein with your pancakes just eat eggs and meat with it and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll just bacon and egg it for extra protein. I think it's the protein powder that gives that weird texture.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty happy with the brand of mix I buy, and I can doctor it up however I want to change the taste. Not soaking up syrup would be a deal breaker for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried FlapJacked pancakes? I like them - I use the gluten free mix and they soak up syrup. Haven't tried the regular ones because...well I can't eat the gluten :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of them but will keep an eye out! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  4. I love me some pancakes!!! The good old fashioned kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...