Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Not on target

First let me preface this with the whole PC pre-apology to anyone I may offend with my opinion on this new line of clothing, particularly if you've bought anything from it.

Let's get on with my thoughts on Target's "new" plus size label.  Last year, bigger gals may have noticed that Target basically yanked their plus sized department with the promise of a whole new line designed "just for us."  I didn't know this because I would be looking at clothes that I actually liked only to realize they were their maternity line and not for the zoftig set.  It was a long time before they finally unveiled the line.  Call me skeptical but I've seen this before and have rarely been impressed when mainstream stores think they know what what a plus sized woman wants comfort and style wise.  


I began perusing their spring/summer clothes and was instantly unimpressed.  If we're going into warm weather and stank humidity, do I really want long sleeves, even if they do pin up 1/4 of the way up my arm?


Oh, short sleeves is what I am looking for, you say?  Why yes, it is but as any plus sized woman like myself with bat wings (aka-flabby underarms) will tell you 1) the cap sleeves shown below are basically going sleeveless and doesn't do much to instill self confidence and 2) the pattern on the left is not very flattering.


Matter of fact, the more I looked, the more I thought I was in Kmart in the 80's.  You know, when all plus sized clothes look as though they were made with your great grandma in mind and that no one over a size 16 (what is probably a size 12 now in vanity sizing) should be grateful they're even making clothes?


I know this because I had to watch my mom buy clothes like that in itchy or uncomfortable fabrics that make you sweat or are scratchy.  Then as I got into plus sized clothes myself in high school, it was pretty much the same.

Again, why are there long sleeves and turtlenecks for spring and summer??  (That is not a jacket)


Then this is some weird hybrid where it is a box with attempted sleeves that pull out awkwardly to the side.


Kind of reminded me of Wile E. Coyote in his flying suit...

(source)
Then of course we have the bathing suits....


Yes...because when I go to the beach, this will allow me to blend in and not stand out like a walking bolt of fabric chucked in the reject pile.

If this, according to their sign, "gives your curves the attention they deserve" then obviously Target thinks we deserve massive poorly patterned signs pointing to all of our curves or they want to cover you up in turtlenecks and long sleeves.  Why not just cut holes in a comforter and tell us to wear that?  The plus sized section is still smaller than the maternity section and significantly smaller than the "normal" sized section.  Ahh, throwing us a bone again, I see.

Again, I'm sorry if anyone recognizes anything in these pics and actually likes them.  I think people should wear what they actually like and if you like it and didn't settle for it.  Rock those garments.

However, I'm a little sick and tired of having normal sized folk and pregnant women having stylish choices and plus sized women still being treated as though we should be grateful we don't have to walk around in a garbage bag or burlap sack.  We deserve some style.  We deserve clothes that will be flattering on us, not make us choose between exposing every roll and bulge to covering up in a shapeless body suit they call shirts.  For me, Target is seriously not on target with this line.

How about sleeves that come down 4-5" inches to cover those underarms?  Or an hourglass with a generous fit so it doesn't cling to the rolls?  How about more than two styles of jeans to choose from...super tight or mom jeans.  How about looking at the things you think the size 4 looks good in and make it in a size 16-30?  (Oh, that's right, when they try that they just can't seem to help taking a dig at the bigger gal...manatee grey anyone?)  Yes, I could go to a specialty plus sized store like Avenue or Lane Bryant but they make you pay 2-3x the amount that plus sized lines in stores like Target or Walmart would carry.  Yes, I would expect to pay more for more fabric but I shouldn't have to pay $40-50 for a friggin' tee shirt when the size 6 gal gets to pay $12 at a discount store.

I don't need more clothes right now but I like to look on occasion and I'm so disappointed that as a whole, plus sized clothing really hasn't come that far.  If you're looking on a budget, you're going to sacrifice style and if you want style you're going to sacrifice your wallet.

Where do you like to shop?  Plus sized ladies...are you satisfied with pattern and cut for affordable clothes?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

22 comments:

  1. This is definitely an area that it's quite obvious to me that the powers that be put very little thought into what they are putting out and still seem to make just enough money to be happy with it. I'll admit there is a lot more for men to choose from out there, but not at Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that is the case, they make just enough to be happy with it so they don't put the same effort into it. There is more for men to choose from but Target is lacking for both sexes in the plus category.

      Delete
  2. If it makes you feel better, that top that reminds you the Wild E Coyote's suit is also in regular sizing and also awful.

    I cringed looking at the patterns of the bathing suits. Those are awful patterns for everyone. Except a pillow. Like that front suit, I'd like that as a pillow. Or maybe small detail on yoga pants.

    I'm not particularly thrilled with what is considered fashionable these days...
    I went to Plato's closet and most of what I had was rejected since it's too business-y and "formal". I'm 25. And Plato's Closet is geared towards my demographic if I recall correctly. I apparently dress too old... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I don't know why they thought that sleeve design would be flattering on anyone. At least if I jumped out of a plane I could just glide down. You're right, those patterns need to be an accent not a feature.

      I don't even know what's fashionable these days. I should start paying attention. All I see are people wearing jeans that are too tight or now that it's summer, women who think having their labia hanging out is out. (Tip...it's NOT okay!)

      Delete
  3. I miss the Merona and Cherokee lines at Target!! Simple, everyday clothing that was made out of quality material for the price you were paying. I don't find tops at Target, but I could always find pants, shorts and cropped pants until they eliminated those lines.

    I shop for tops at JC Penney and I see the same thing there - patterns and designs that are NOT flattering on a plus size person. They do have t-shirts that are reasonably priced and cut well for me and I can usually find a couple of dressier tops after wading through the stuff that clearly won't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Merona too!!! They were a little better and not so pattern laden and cut wildly.

      They are closing all of our JCP's. :-( I used to love perusing that catalog!

      Delete
  4. Not to play devil's advocate- (I wouldn't buy these patterns and the grey sweater is hideous) but there is a body acceptance movement afoot and I've been following it. I'm not 'there' myself, after 50 years of body shaming I have a long way to go. But I like the movement- I love women (and men) who can embrace it- and wear what you want, when you want, and to hell with anyone who doesn't like it. So in that spirit- I can see these being appealing to 'some'. In terms of the rest of us- who still feel shame at our bat wings and have to cover them up- it's a big miss. I follow one person and if you look down a bit on her blog there are many clothing resources listed with reasonable prices- http://www.themilitantbaker.com
    I'm not wearing sleeveless (yet) but I've raised my blouses to above the elbow (shock!) and am wearing very colorful patterns instead of my usual black on black on colorless with no prints. And so far I haven't been tarred and feathered! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for accepting the body...it's the clothes made for this body I don't accept!

      I'm tired of having to buy a man's t-shirt to have sleeve coverage that is comfortable for me. I know I will never have toned arms even if I lose every ounce of fat on me and aim to bulk up because there will always be too much skin there and I just don't want to show that off. It's an area of issue for thinner women as well and you'd think by now, companies would catch on and make a FEW tops that can appease those who would prefer not to show off the rippin' skin when the wind blows. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I mostly shop at thrift shops so that adds to the fun and games in finding clothes. I often find the "perfect" item, but it's one size too big or small and of course in a thrift store there's only one of everything. The only clothing retailer in my town is WalMart which is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes they have things I like, but often it's elastic waisted poly blend pants that make me itch and floral tops that aren't flattering on anyone at any size. Right now though they have some nice sleeveless tops that I'm going to pick up for summer, and I found some capris that fit nicely. I probably shouldn't wear sleeveless, but I just can't stand even short sleeves in the summer. I'd rather show off my batwings than spontaneously combust. I found swimsuits that I basically like the last 2 summers at Kohl's - but they have the mistaken impression that all big women are "gifted" in the bust department so both suits' chests are bigger than mine which isn't great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you see something you like at a good price, you gotta snag it! It's like a unicorn these days. Just like the bust issue, they also don't think big women could possibly be tall. Wearing a one piece is nearly impossible because of the frontal wedge that occurs due to short torso length on the suit. Then the tankiki tops barely come down enough to cover. *rolling eyes*

      Delete
  6. What?????!!!!!???? I should put my labia away? Dang it!!!!

    I don't get those crazy sleeves either. I ordered some tops from Lane Bryant and didn't realize they had them. Looked and felt weird. Another thing I don't understand is the super thin material they use for shirts now. I don't want to have to wear a cami under everything because it's practically see through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I mean if you want it hangin' out, more power to ya but I prefer to not see other ladies lady bits. HA!

      Yeah I don't know what the deal is with sleeves lately but if I stretch my arms out, I don't want to risk turning into a kite. I see all of that see through stuff too. I just want a normal freakin' top for Pete's sake!

      Delete
  7. I'm in the same boat as you are - finding plus sized clothing that looks attractive is not easy. Here are a few places I like to shop:

    - Old Navy.com - they have cute "basic" pieces (tanks, t-shirts, maxi dresses, skirts, etc.) and their plus size selection online is pretty decent. If you don't like it when it arrives, you can return it to a retail store (no mailing needed.)

    - WalMart.com - lots of reasonably priced cute swimsuits in their plus size department. They have some really cute "retro" designs (high-waisted bikinis, polka dots, etc) that I like.

    Torrid.com - cute stuff. Kind of expensive but when they have sales stuff is marked down to a more reasonable price.

    eshakti.com - their stuff is not only cute, but it is made to order! That's right, you plug in your measurements, enter any special instructions about the piece you are ordering (e.g.,"please make the sleeves shorter" or "please cut the bust a bit fuller") and they will make you an outfit for about the same price that you would pay at a department store like Macys. Plus, their stuff is really cute!

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get quite a few basics from Old Navy, especially tanks and layering type shirts. I wish they weren't so thin but I usually know I'm going to have something over it. I like Torrid when they have a good clearance but some of their stuff is clearly not geared toward an old broad like me. (Don't look at the Hello Kitty PJ pants I bought from there in 3 sizes for when I hopefully get more lard off!)

      I'll have to check out that website. I would love to have sleeves that actually go down to the wrist on purpose!

      Delete
  8. Most of those really look awful. I personally do like to wear clothes with 3/4 or longer sleeves even in summer (lighter weight, of course, than in the winter) and like having options to do so. I really don't like the ones that are basically sleeveless (I've moved out of the plus size department lately, but definitely have bat wings so I don't want totally sleeveless). I also agree most of those patterns in those pictures are hideous.

    As far as the making in larger sizes what would look good on a size 4...I think it depends. My daughter wears a 2 to 4 and what looks good on her doesn't look at all good on me (I'm a 12 to 14 right now). Ironically, I have more trouble finding clothes for her than I did for me when I was a size 22. I was recently shopping with her and in an entire department store there was literally not more than 1 or 2 items (all ugly) that were smaller than a size 6. At two stores, we needed to buy her a long dress and and found between the 2 stores only 2 dresses she could wear! There were more choices for larger sizes. The problem, of course, is that many of those choices weren't good.

    What I don't understand is why there can't be a range of clothes that all look good for the size it is made for and which cover the large range of different people (both small and large).....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There absolutely needs to be a range of clothes that are flattering and not just one cut fits all because it very clearly doesn't.

      Delete
  9. Okay, this is the 3rd time I have typed this comment so I apologize if you get 3 different versions of it... It appears as though you read my mind when I left the Target here in town several weeks ago and put all of my sentiments--word for word--in your blog. HIDEOUS this line is. I thought the fabrics were very thin/cheap and way overpriced as well. Huge miss for Target on this one--it is awful! No Target clothing for this gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking. It's almost like they picked through the worst fabrics they could find and gave it to a home ec class for a sewing project. (Do they still teach home ec? LOL)

      Delete
  10. I really like Maurices. They have a large plus size selection on their website and some of their stores carry them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to check them out! I'm always looking for new options!

      Delete
  11. I haven't shopped at Target for clothes in probably 2 decades specifically for this reason. Literally the last time I bought something from their plus size line was before I moved to Phoenix in 1994. I will never, ever understand sleeveless and cap-sleeved tops -- with nothing else to offer. And even those tops are boxed shaped. I have such a hard time finding clothes, and you're right--I pay higher prices because I have to buy online or can go to one stores and that's it. It's very discouraging to see nothing but loud prints from the 70's. If it doesn't look good on a thin model, how on earth is it going to look on someone my size? Morons; idiots, rat bastards. Hmphf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their Merona line was decent, I think I have a few of those tops and a pair of jeans. But this garbage, I don't think so! I just don't understand how the fashion industry can be so blind especially when they claim that 2/3 of the population are overweight or obese. Seems like they're missing the mark.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...