Thursday, October 23, 2014

Breakfast on the go

When we travel, we typically rent homes with a kitchen.  But when you're staying overnight somewhere one or two nights, most homes won't rent for less than three days.  So when a hotel is the only choice, this means you're either captive to what the hotel serves for their continental breakfast or chance it with breakfast on the road.  

While many chains try to provide healthy choices, we're not the kind of people who like to linger with others early in the morning trying to stake a claim on food that sits out.  I know, I'm a weirdo.  Besides, I'd rather have control over what I eat if I'm looking to eat a healthier breakfast on the road.  So I do a little prep work ahead of time so that I have a filling, low cal breakfast on hand for us with nothing more than hot water available.

In a snack bag, I make two mixes.  

Pecan Peanut Butter Oatmeal  (1 serving)

40 grams quick cook oats
2 tbsp PB2 peanut butter powder
10 grams pecans
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 miniature box raisins

Brown Sugar Pecan Oatmeal  (1 serving)

40 grams quick cook oats
1 tbsp brown sugar
10 grams pecans
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 miniature box raisins



We'll grab four "to go cups" the night before if there aren't already some in the room and the next morning use two for green tea and fill the other two with our pre-mixed oatmeal and add water.  There's usually a microwave available for use if the water in the in room coffee maker isn't already hotter than magma.

This breakfast clocks in at 350 calories and if they have bananas available in the breakfast area, we might add that to get some fruit in if we're going to be on the road for a longer stretch.

You don't need to travel for these to be handy.  If you got up late for work and had to rush out of the house without breakfast, keep a few of these in your desk drawer at the office so you will always have a healthy alternative available to you!

What are your go to healthy breakfasts when you travel/are late for work?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

5 comments:

  1. We have been prolific at getting up extra early and getting a good breakfast in before hitting the road in a short amount of time. This is a great thing to share with people who need that extra time saver in the morning too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've slacked a lot lately. I used to set up my oatmeal the night before in a mason jar. The I could either throw it in my bag on the way out the door, or zap it before I left. I also do muffins or eggs ahead of time so they're grab and go. One of my go to breakfasts is dry cereal mixed in with yogurt. A carton of light yogurt is just about the same calories as a cup of skim milk, and way more filling.

    I found pumpkin spice instant oatmeal this weekend, and it rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made some pumpkin butter and a tbsp or two in my oatmeal is SO yummy!

      Delete
  3. I'm not an oatmeal but my go-to breakfast when I gotta scoot out the door is a Glucerna Hunger Smart Chocolate Shake (15 grams of Protein, 5 grams of Fiber and 6 grams of sugar) and a banana. Always, always fills me up because of the protein and fiber. And it's easy to travel with and throw out the wrappings -- and no smell in the car! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)