Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mr Approved Manly-Wich




Sunday, I had these grand plans of grilling bacon wrapped top sirloins.  Mother Nature and my empty propane tank had other ideas.  I rifled through our take from Trader Joe's and brain stormed to come up with something I knew the Mr would love.

I grabbed my sirloin filets...


I sharpened my knife and cut the beef into slices.


One of my favorite ways to use the Mrs Dash steak fajita mix is to sprinkle some on the steak before it goes on the grill.  I figured this wouldn't be any different so I added 1 tsp.


While I let the steak marinate, I grilled up some onions.


When they were all yummy and almost caramelized, it was time to grab the steak but before I did, I wasn't going to waste that sweet caramelized goodness left on the skillet.


I added the steak and cooked it through.


Trader Joe's likes to frequently spotlight certain cheeses and they have samples for you to try.  Well, they sold us on the Bergenost when they labeled it as a mix between havarti and muenster!


I shredded some of that up and set it aside for the upcoming melty goodness.  I fired up the panini press and pre-toasted the Italian loaf I got from TJ's.


Then it was time to layer up.  I added the onions, then the steak and finally the cheese and topped it with the other piece of bread.


I made it with my oven baked fries and served it to a very happy Mr whose eyes rarely stopped rolling into the back of his head with each bite.



This isn't exactly low cal but if you're craving a cheese steak of sorts and want to be able to control the sodium content and know what kind of ingredients you're putting into your meal, this tastes about as good as any restaurant in town.

Not a bad way to make lemonade out of lemons!

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

9 comments:

  1. This is most definitely Mr approved. You can make this anytime! I had no idea what you had planned for lunch but you surprised me like you tend to do and whipped up this masterpiece. I'm glad you decided to share it because others should get the opportunity to enjoy this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I like to surprise you now and then with something new and I didn't think you'd mind since these are all your favorite things. ;-)

      Delete
  2. OMG--that sandwich looks delicious. I'm a huge fan of Havarti cheese, never tried Muenster, but I bet that combo cheese is good. Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) made fajitas the other day on one of her shows, and I'm going to try that soon too. So many delicious foods out there, but when trying to control the caloric intake, there's so little time.....if you get my drift. Gotta ration those yummy things out over a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are good melting cheeses and together...heavenly! Just pin those babies and make 'em fit when you can. ;-)

      Delete
  3. That does look good. I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to make for supper tonight with what's on hand and having no luck at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steak is ideal but it would also be good with chicken if that's all you have on hand. Hmmm.... :-)

      Delete
  4. Looks delish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. I want to devour that right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)