Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Can we please stop "suiting" up?

Last week, I hit record because something caught my eye.  Yet another show was going to undergo the "fat suit" public shaming experiment.  I usually take this with a grain of salt because I have and still do walk in the fat suit every day so when a skinny person thinks they're going to get some kind of perspective from it, I pop the light popcorn and jump in.

More over I hit record because I was laughing so hard that I was crying and I knew I had to share it with the Mr.  When I showed him, he couldn't stop laughing either.  Now God love this guy who wanted to walk a mile in the wide width shoes of a 400 lb morbidly obese man but, well, let me just show you...


Okay..I'm gonna let ya digest that one.

He kept re-iterating how people were staring because of his weight and snickering at him.  Uh, it could have nothing to do with the fact that you're purposely wearing a shirt too small for you, you look like you just shoplifted the entire men's department at a big box store and your thighs are bowlegged and overstuffed like Randy in his snow suit in A Christmas Story.  As a person who walked in BIGGER shoes, I guarantee you that they make up to size 7x (not that I wore that but I know it exists) so a super morbidly obese person with any shame would never walk out wearing a shirt that looked like that.  I've seen people thinner than that let their beer keg hang out from under their shirt but obese people want to cover up or just plain won't go out.  As if that wasn't bad enough, there was this.


Again...I think this is that the size is secondary to two things...1) it is very obvious this dude's pants are stuffed, I mean come on and 2) if I saw a dude with an ass crack up to the middle of his back, I'd probably give a stare and a giggle after he passed as well.

Look, I appreciate you trying to be empathetic.  I appreciate that you think by stuffing some baggy clothes with 20-30 lbs of pillows to mimic a 400 lb body that you now think you know what it's like...you don't.  You won't unless you put on the real fat "suit" but I wouldn't recommend that.  When you can unzip a body at the end of the day that shames you and dictates the way you act or things you can and can't do because of it, then you have no idea what it's like.  Let's end the fat suit 'experiments', m'kay?

Do you think a few hours in an obvious  fat suit can give the full picture of a life lived as a morbidly obese person?
====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

16 comments:

  1. That is the most ridiculous one I've ever seen and I don't know how people in the audience didn't break out laughing when the footage was played for them. It would be one thing if the fat suit looked real enough but there is no such thing really. And really it comes down to the fact that doing this is akin to putting on makeup to change your race in order to walk a mile in someone else's shoes, but it just isn't the same when you make a spectacle out of yourself and equate that to the life of the people you are trying to mimic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're referring to...that classic Eddie Murphy SNL skit! Now I must find it. But yes, it's the same kind of thing and in this case, just as comical!

      Delete
  2. Give me a freaking break? This guy thinks he's being so empathetic to fat folks by putting on a really half-assed quality fat suit and waddling around making a spectacle of himself?

    Note to this bumble*uck. It wasn't cute when Gwenyth Paltrow, Eddie Murphy, or Tyra Banks did it (with actual fat suits and makeup and all that) so it's certainly not cute on you.

    (did you edit off his head or was it like that? If he did that then a hearty eff you to him again. If you're going to fat shame like this, which is what it really is, you should have the decency to show your face so once you're back to your socially acceptable self--read not fat--folks can point at you and call you out for the asshat you are)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's about what I thought. I know I've got lumps and bumps but they don't look like a t-shirt or cheap pillow. Shallow Hal absolutely infuriated me back in the day and I don't really have an opinion about it on the Klumps just because I laughed at the relationship between the family so much which had nothing to do with weight. (Whereas some would laugh just at the parts putting down fat people. I do specifically remember that in the theater and the Mr and I looking at each other like "of course the skinny folk would laugh at THAT part.")

      I cut off his head so as not to help promote the idea that he should do it again. But I like your comment anyway! LOL

      Delete
  3. I always liked the flashback scenes of "fat Monica" on Friends back in the day, but other fat suit characters have always bothered me. This fat suit empathy thing really annoys me. I do think that done right it can give a picture of the life obstacles that an actual obese person might face, but I'm not sure that can be distilled into a 30-60 minute (minus commercials) tv special. My SIL at her highest was closer to 600 than 500 and she was almost house bound - not walking around town with a wedgie in too tight clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch Friends when it was popular but when I watched on occasion a year or so ago, the "fat Monica" flashbacks were just as bad if not worse than Shallow Hal to me. Fat suit "empathy" is just not possible. Yes, you can not feel yourself or dismissed for however long you have it on but when you get to unzip at the end of the day, the point is missed. An obese person doesn't get that instant option. Wedgie indeed! :)

      Delete
  4. I've seen these experiments done over and over again. THIS one takes the cake. They didn't even try to make it look real. And I totally agree, no fat person, would EVER leave the house is clothes that are 2 sizes too small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would think given the supposed caliber of this show that they would've done a much better job but it comes off looking like they're trying to make fun of the experiment. I would wear HUGE T-shirts that covered my stomach even if I looked like a walking box because of lack of shape in the shirt. A shirt 2x too small? Never!

      Delete
  5. A few hours in any pretend situation isn't enough to get the full picture of any experience. And yes I agree--people were probably laughing at how ridiculously obvious his fake fat suit was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not and yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that suit is ridiculously inaccurate.

      Delete
  6. Wow, how funny! It doesn't even look a little bit real, and I'm not surprised that he got some stares ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean I would stare if I saw a man obviously stuffed with pillows walking down the street too! *shaking head*

      Delete
  7. I don't think the experiments are a bad idea if they are realistic. I think any time you try to gain perspective from another point of view is a good thing. But this is beyond ridiculous and actually quite insulting because he basically was saying that someone who weighed 400 lbs couldn't possibly dress nicely and has to look slovenly. The way he dressed was a stereotype in itself. And the flip side, I've seen many an overweight person be downright nasty to thin people because they assume they "have it made" and life must be grand because they are thin and they don't have a care in the world--no health issues, no addiction problems, marriage, money, or job problems. I think that's just as unfair because someone is being judged just based on their appearance. Lord knows the physical life of a fat person is far more difficult just by its very nature-- the limitations, the ridicule, the shame. But any time anyone is judged by the size of their body, big or small, it's just wrong. Never ever does it tell the whole story. And I think that's what irritates me about some of these experiments -- they tend to show fat people as being miserable individuals. Not so. And that's why many of these shows fail in what they are attempting to do--they just feed the stereotype, not the real person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but don't you know, any morbidly obese person can only fit into an ill fitting sweatsuit. It absolutely fuels the stereotype.

      Delete
  8. Uh yeah, I'd be staring because dude looks like he fell into a vat of concrete and it hardened around his legs. He's a statue come to life! AHHH!!! I always find those stories funny because it's so clear people are staring because it's obvious the person is wearing a fat suit--so, so obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL...totally! He looked triple dipped and the layers just got more lopsided as they hardened. Very obvious. The thing is, the facial makeup was decent but it's like why go to all the trouble if the body is going to look like a puff-a-lump? ('Member those?)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...