Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Recapturing the magic? Not so much.

Yesterday was an interesting day.  The Mr took the day off so we could hang out and just do whatever we wanted to do.  We knew it was "swamp ass" hot out but since it was kind of cloudy too, we decided to sunscreen up and go to the zoo across town.  A lot of the animals were hiding in the shade but some were sticking their heads out and giving a show.  We decided to get a membership so when we wanted to spend a day walking around for exercise we could just go there and have stuff to look at, like these beauties...


We had a great day and about an hour or so before they closed, I saw they opened up this old part of the zoo with some carnival type rides.  Since it wasn't too crowded anymore, I thought this would be the perfect way to see how we would do on carnival rides.  Would we fit?  Would we be able to handle it?  We started innocently enough on the tilt a whirl...


We got to spinning pretty good for a while and we were screaming and laughing.  Well, I was.  The Mr wasn't being very vocal.  I had to lay my head back because I was so dizzy.  When we got off I looked over and the Mr had no color in his face and was sweating.  I asked if he was okay and he said he was queasy and lamented getting "old."  We took a minute or two then headed to the Scrambler.  (You know, that star looking thing that slams the person on the inside to the person on the outside while you go around in a circle?)  That was always my favorite as a kid!  I used to ride it with my mom all the time.  We were relieved that we could just barely buckle the seat belt over the two of us and the inside bar was able to be lowered.  Score!  I was the one cramming into the Mr. and I kept apologizing.  He said he was dizzy again and I told him to focus on the back of the car in front of us but closing his eyes helped him more.  When we got off, he really needed to sit.  He was starting to shake a bit.  It had been about 6 hours since we ate and he used to get like this quite a bit when we were heavier.  It was like a low blood sugar kind of thing but nothing would make him feel better until he fed the beast.  I was getting a bit of a migraine but I didn't care.  He rested for a few then said on to the roller coaster.  Now this thing was OLD SCHOOL.  Super small, wooden coaster and no way in hell we were going to fit next to each other so we each got a seat.  My knees were crammed into the seat in front of me.  Thankfully the bar latched across my lap so that was good. Then it was up up and away...

Nice sunburn, girls!
It threw us around a bit but it was short and sweet and the Mr needed another rest when we were done.  I told him I was going to the bathroom and to sit for a bit while I was gone.  When I came out, this is the pitiful sight that awaited me...

The Mr hunched over trying not to lose his cookies...literally.

We had to run to the snack shack and he got some animal crackers and some Gatorade to help settle his stomach.  He felt better and we decided to do one more ride...the Himalaya.  You know, that thing that goes around in a circle that is at every carnival.  I loved it.  The Mr was holding his mouth trying not to puke.  I laughed and told him I think going to a "big" amusement park may not be in the cards for us as a weight loss goal.  He said some of it was the hunger but most of it was motion based and it really sucked.  I know this really depressed him because as a kid he loved riding rides but now, hell, the poor guy gets queasy on the swings at the local park.  (Sadly, so do I if I do it for too long.)  I was a little dizzy myself but not like him.  I think if any roller coasters are in our future, it will be for a half day and to say "checked it off the list."  I think we thought that once we were thin(ner) that we would get season passes somewhere and ride rides all summer long and relive the youth we lost to fat.  (We haven't been to an amusement park since I was 18 and even then, we couldn't ride everything...it was a shitty reality check for your 18th birthday.)  So yeah, those days of recapturing what fat kept us from so long may now be lost due to age.  Life can be a bite in the ass sometimes, eh?

Have you ever gotten to a goal and it turned out to be lackluster or not as great as you thought it would be?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

15 comments:

  1. It was really disappointing to be feeling so sick after just a few wimpy rides. When I was a kid I was just like the kids we saw who would get off a ride and immediately go right back on. Ugh! I guess we'll have to try the tilt-a-whirl again some time when I have either Dramamine or one of those motion sickness bracelets, or both. Anyone out there have any suggestions for either of those and know if they work well at amusement park rides? I honestly think I would be fine on most roller coasters, it's just those spinning rides that do me in. Sucks to get old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so horrible for you!! I know we were both looking forward to trying out these rides after so many years of being deprived of them. Given the excruciating migraine/neck pain I have today, I'm pretty sure that roller coaster gave me low grade whiplash. Just waiting for meds to kick in so I can stand up to make breakfast. Getting old blows! (But I have to say I love the video I took on the tilt a whirl, I haven't laughed that hard/loud in a long time!)

      Delete
  2. Aww thats no fun..sorry Mr. got sick...take care...but love the taking time off from work and going somewhere..i need to do that sometime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, since we spent most of our weekend entertaining, I encouraged him to take Monday off so we could have an almost full weekend again. Just wish it wasn't to confirm that we're a bunch of old farts! :)

      Delete
    2. hahaha no....I wud do that too...P just joined a new job so cant afford it now...and also his parents are in town..going to NIagara this friday..took the day off..will be dirving,..,its 8 hrs away...i love to drive so shud be fun..and we have T-storm warnings so glad I wont be crisped in the sun

      Delete
  3. Awwww, that really does suck! When I was younger, I rode EVERYTHING, even the spinny rides. I know better than to try that now, because, like you said, I get kinda queasy now on the swings, or spinning the kids around just once or twice. My best advice would be to make sure you stay fully hydrated (which you guys are ROCK STARS at doing!) and go slow. What probably did the Mr. in was starting with the tilt-a-whirl!! That probably set the stage for the whole day. But either way, you are correct, getting old SUCKS!!!

    I was worried, with my recent trip to Cedar Point, that I might get a little squimish on some of the rides because it'd been so long since I'd been. It didn't even cross my mind that I might not fit on some of the rides, but wow,....REALITY CHECK! I'm definitely not as young (or as easy-to-fit) as I used to be. SUCKED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the spinny rides were pretty much all they offered but I would rather spend the $20 to find out he can't do carnival rides and I can't do coasters than $80+ at a big time park, I guess. We should've brought some kind of substantial snack with us but we didn't anticipate staying there as long as we did.

      We're definitely not going to a big time amusement park until we fit within the suggested "person of size" guidelines. I know what size/weight I was when I was 18 and didn't fit anymore so I'll have to be at least 20 lbs less than that since I know the seats have only gotten smaller over the years. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. I bet the extreme heat and humidity had something to do with the Mr.'s illness too. But age probably had something to do with it too. As a weight-loss goal, I wanted to go to the amusement park with my grandkids, and we did go the last two summers--but sadly not this year. They are headed elsewhere for their vacation this year. I fit on every ride, but elected NOT to ride on some of the more extreme ones. I probably enjoyed the kiddie rides with my grandkids more than any of the adult rides. They are very mild. It was also a joy just to be able to WALK around the park all day, without having to find a bench to rest on every few minutes. That--to me--was a major and wonderful NSV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the heat didn't help. We underestimated the time we were going to spend there. At this point, I'd be happy on "It's a Small World" at Disney or the Haunted Mansion. No spins, flips, etc. Wimp! LOL

      Big NSV for you!

      Delete
  5. When I was a kid I loved amusement park rides. There was nothing I wouldn't ride, and roller coasters were my special passion. Any time I could scrape up the money to go and a friend to go with I went. I haven't been since the end of my freshman year of college though.

    Then last summer my little guy was finally old/big enough to ride the "big kid" rides at the fair so I went with him on the Tilt a Whirl. My reaction was pretty much the same as your Mr.'s. It was great at first, then it was pretty much grit my teeth and wait for it to be over. I think up and down rides I'd be ok, but I guess spinny rides are over for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww that BLOWS lol...no really it does.. maybe try some ginger pills or get some motion sickness meds next time? Or start with less Spinny type rides...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sympathize with the Mr. After years of riding carnival rides, I can't do it any of the spinning rides anymore. I do fine on the Himalaya, roller coasters, and scrambler, but the tilt-a-whirl and teacup ride are history. My friends said I was green after getting off the teacup ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah. I've tried "recapturing my youth" with certain things, and it finally occurred to me that I was so stuck in the past that trying to relive it would never measure up to the "newness" of it back then. I put so much emphasis on my not being able to something on my weight, that it never occurred to me that I'd just outgrown it instead. I'll admit to spending an entire year buying old toys and those 70's "big eyed" black-haired children pictures that I loved so much as a kid from Ebay and antique stores...and it all sits in my basement. I remember feeling sooo nostalgic when they arrived, but it didn't quite do the healing I had hoped it would. Original Weebles? Got em. Mandy Doll? Yep. Fisher Price National Forest...you betcha. Original McDonald's Drive-thru...yup. Now that's just the collecting of things, not the actual physical things I've done with weight loss that fell flat. =o(

    By the way, both me and hubs get hypoglycemia like your Mr on occasion. We keep Gator Gum in the car when the sweats break out from lack of sugar/food. Works like a charm for him, not so much for me. The nausea lasts for me longer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's awesome that you had no trouble getting into the rides, but I feel SO bad for the Mr. Poor guy... I used to LOVE riding those rides all day, but now, holy crap, I can only take it for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get insane motion sickness (I get it from walking down the aisle at the grocery store sometimes--crazy, right?!), so I can sympathize with your husband. It is NO fun. I use sea bands for my car sickness and they work pretty well, so maybe they're worth a try for amusement park rides!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...