Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Yo Joe! What gives?

We tried some new to us stuff from Trader Joe's over the past week or so and I'm sad to say we only had a 33% success rate this go round.

Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli


We're gonna start out with the winner winner, ravioli dinner.  This one tastes like some of the better ravioli dinners I've had at restaurants with less sodium and full flavor.  I don't think even if you split the bag between you and another person it would be enough to have on its own so I paired it with some veggies.  The awesome thing?  I microwaved this bad boy!  It came out of the bag looking like pic #2 and a few minutes later the deliciousness of pic #3.  We bought this again so as long as they carry it, it will likely be a staple for those nights I just don't feel like putting on a big dinner production but don't want to skimp on taste.  Thumbs up!

French Vanilla Ice Cream

We were having some friends over and we were doing a sundae bar.  The Mr is a sundae purist and must have vanilla ice cream for his sundaes.  We thought Trader Joe's would have a great version but man were we wrong.  It tastes very fake.  Take the most imitation vanilla extract you've ever had and use a heavy hand into a batch of ice cream.  I just had a bite and that was enough for me.  The Mr ate it (but it was covered in chocolate sauce and toppings) but when sundae night was over, into the trash it went.  Not worth the calories and we think maybe ice cream isn't their strong suit.

Deep Dish Pizza

We are major deep dish pizza lovers.  When I saw they had frozen deep dish, I was over the moon ready to try it.  We were disappointed by the size of the box.  It looked appetizer sized or like the size of a personal pizza at a pizza shop.  When we got it home we were less than impressed pulling it out.  It was the size of my hand.  So we baked it up and it looked good...thick pepperoni, thick crust, etc.  There was a lot of grease from the pepperoni so I soaked it up with a napkin.  We took a bite and both kind of crinkled our noses in disappointment.  The actual pizza part was okay but nothing great and we already knew we wouldn't be getting this again.  Then we got to the crust.  Oh my Lord, talk about tasteless and hard!  I hit it against the table where it echoed a resounding thud.  Couple that with the two small pieces you're going to get if you split with someone and you should be prepared to have a salad or something with it.  Very disappointing.

They can't all be winners, right?  But I got lazy the second half of last year and I wasn't getting "new to us" things to try as much and I wanted to get back into that habit because I felt a food rut coming on.

What "new to you" things have you tried lately?  Was it a hit or miss?  What do you want to try?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

17 comments:

  1. A couple of rare missteps for TJ's but at least the ravioli was a hit. Mmmm, that sounds pretty good right about now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thankfully it is a rare misstep for them but man, such simple foods to swing and miss on. Boo! You're right, that does sound good. Perhaps it'll be dinner tonight since I can barely walk today!

      Delete
  2. I tried Trader Joe's brand of yogurt and was underwhelmed. It wasn't bad (I finished it and it wasn't torture) but it really lacked in flavor. I bought a different brand (also at trader joes) and it was much better (and both were organic, very close to the same on calories and even the price was very close to the same).

    I did like that there were 50 calories less than the yogurt I had been eating (I like the cheap pre-mixed yogurts from the grocery store) and were less sugar grams without having the nasty sour taste of plain yogurt.

    That pizza you tried would have made me mad. The calorie to portion ratio is horrible (330 calories for 1/4 of the pizza? one slice of a personal pan? holy crap, I'll pass)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mr loves their vanana yogurt but I think he wasn't impressed with much else yogurt wise (unless they bring back his strawberry that they yanked.)

      Yes, I was pretty ticked with the pizza. As far as calories vs size, I kind of looked at it like it was one piece of "normal" Pizzeria Uno pizza which would be about 660 cals. But yeah, TOTAL disappointment and one of the crusts went into the trash so at least I saved about 50ish calories there. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. That ravioli does look good...

    Ice cream reminds me..have u tried the coconut icecream from Whole foods..its not their brand but I found it only there..its so good..and yummy....

    I would be irritated with that pizza...330 calories for that horrible portion size...arghhh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I think we're going to have it tonight, matter of fact. :) The calories didn't surprise me because deep dish is usually pretty hefty calorie wise but that's for GOOD deep dish.

      Haven't tried the coconut ice cream but that sounds like a perfect topping to some banana bread!

      Delete
  4. Be sure to remind yourself to bring the receipt next time you go and get your credit towards some items you like. I've done this a couple times and they were more than happy to both get my feedback and give me a shot at another item. Its their policy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to dig around and see if I still have my receipt. I thought about that but I know how the Mr feels about taking back empty boxes. *rolling eyes*

      Delete
    2. Last time I returned something, they actually said they prefer people to do it, it gives them a benchmark on what to retire and what to keep. It usually helps if I bring the receipt and say, well I loved this, but this one was not a hit for me, and explain quickly why.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, I love their Vanilla ice cream. Its like my favorite over anybody cheep or expensive. I'm sorry you didn't like it. Its actually the only one I think is worth calories. oh well, more for me:)

    I will remember not to buy the pizza though. Thank for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have our quart! :)

      Well you never know since you like the ice cream and I don't maybe you'd like the pizza. As long as you go in knowing the calorie count vs amount you get, it might be someone else's cup o' tea and just not ours. I tend to like a cornmeal crust on my deep dish...Chicago hath spoiled me.

      Delete
  6. Wow that's a lot of calories for a slice of pizza! I'd never checked calories for deep dish pizza, because I only eat it when I'm in Chicago, thus making it a vacation food and exempt from calorie-counting when eaten with a salad on a day when LOTS of walking has occurred. Now that I know the calories, I may need to rethink that plan and stick to think crust. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think only eating it in Chicago calls for not skimping on the thin crap. That's what walking the city is for. ;)

      Delete
  7. 4 servings--ha ha HA. Isn't that cute? I find that a lot of TJ's portions are unrealistic. But I still love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have a TJ's out by me, but I used to go to one when I lived in Phoenix that I enjoyed. Sorry your items were a bust. I haven't tried anything too new lately, but what I am considering doing is letting go of something...a bit of an experiment, if you will. I'm toying with the idea of abstaining from pasta for the next year. That particular food is a real trigger for me and I go for it every since time my emotions are up or down. I'm still "noodling" it around in my head, but I think I may try this. I've done it with other things (non food related) in my life and I've had good success. It's still a plan in the works and I'll keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on giving up the pasta. I don't have it a lot but I imagine it would be like me trying to give up sugar. *shutter*

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...