Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Veggie Beef Soup

The winter weather is on a crazy train.  8 degrees one day, 65 the next.  This recipe was created on an 8 degree day because I needed a culinary warm fuzzy.  It was originally going to be beef stew but as I tasted it and polled the Mr on which he preferred, soup it was!



Mmm, I think I'm breaking out the leftover batch from the freezer.  Yum.  Let's get started!

Veggie Beef Soup
(Four 2 cup servings)

2 boxes (8 cups)  Pacific Foods Low Sodium Beef Broth
15 oz Target Beef Chuck Stew Meat (trimmed and browned)
1/2 large parsnip
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 1/2 small zucchinis, cubed
1 large red pepper, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp thyme
Other no salt spices to taste

Trim all of the excess fat off of the beef and cut into like size pieces so they brown evenly.



Brown your stew meat until cooked through.


Grab your beef broth...


Add your browned meat to a big crock pot and then add your beef broth.  I added no salt spices like thyme, black pepper and onion powder to taste.


Dice up your veggies.


Mince your garlic or put them in whole if you prefer.


Add them to the crock pot party and cook on low all day or on high for 4 hours.


When you have about 2 hours cook time left, add a cornstarch slurry (cornstarch and water) to the crockpot to thicken slightly.


At this point, you want to taste it before serving.  Because this is a low sodium soup, I prefer to let people salt theirs by the bowl.  I could eat it as is but I've also added a dash or two as well...either way, it's still delicious!


Nutritional Information per 2 cup serving:  Calories 288 Total Fat 12g  Sat Fat 5g  Cholesterol 56mg  Sodium 625mg  Potassium 363mg  Total Carbs 18g  Fiber 3g  Sugars 5g  Protein 27g  Vitamin A  157%  Vitamin C  145%  Calcium 7%  Iron 16%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter )

10 comments:

  1. This was wonderful and it was perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich on that cold January day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know what I'll be making this weekend, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be making that for the boy (since I don't eat red meat and I JUST got a crockpot!)
    Good way to make him eat his veggies and I think I'd pair it with the cheddar biscuits from skinnytaste.

    Also, cute spoon in the last pic =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will make it with chicken as no one eats beef at my home:( and dont want to cook it at home and scare them..lol..I think I can smell the soup from here..yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so great and I love that it's in the crockpot. My fav. I'm all about soups latley so bring it on! Also, I would guess this soup is pretty adaptable and you can use a bunch of different veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, this definitely looks like comfort food. Perfect for the snowy day we have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love your napkin. And the spoon! January is definitely the time for soup, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!!! This looks perfect for a winter day. I love soup and can it multiple times a week. This is a keeper! =o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)