Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 8: Healthified Muddy Buddy Truffles

Your not the only ones receiving recipes in your inboxes.  I have signed up for so many countdown deals from big companies over the years I set up a whole different email address for them to go to.  I got your tried and true "muddy buddy" (or "puppy chow") recipe from the cereal company and I kept thinking, "I know I could make those a little healthier."  Then I thought I could jump on the 'truffle' craze that everyone is on and make a slightly healthified version of this old favorite to go along with the current trend.  My healthified muddy buddy truffles were born...


These bad boys taste just like the original mix but in a nice little portion controlled size so you hopefully don't mindlessly shovel the mix into your truffle hole.  Here's what you'll need:

1 box Fiber One 80 cereal
1/2 cup Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
1 cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup butter
1 cup Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk, unsweetened
1/3 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)


Break down cereal in blender to crumbs and put in a large bowl, set aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate, peanut butter and butter.  Microwave for 45 seconds and combine until smooth.  Add to cereal and use your (freshly washed) hands to mix thoroughly until it is a chocolatey dry mix.  Then add almond milk and mix again with your hands until it all comes together to make large dough-like ball.

Roll out 48 balls on to a cookie sheets or piece of wax paper.  If you're not serving them within the next few hours, put them in an airtight container in the fridge.

About an hour prior to serving, add powdered sugar to a small bowl and toss 4 truffles at a time to coat until all truffles are evenly coated.  Store in an airtight container.

Nutritional Information per truffle:  Calories 70 calories (per truffle)  Total Fat  4g  Sat Fat 1g  Sodium 58mg  Potassium 18g  Total Carbs 11g  Fiber 3g  Sugars 5g  Protein 1g  Vitamin A- 3%  Vitamin C- 3%  Calcium- 11%  Iron- 7%

====================
Don't miss another 12 Days of Treats recipe! Subscribe via email and get them delivered to your inbox!

8 comments:

  1. These sound really good. I am so guilty of mindlessly shoving puppy chow into my truffle hole, with these I can take one out of the container and leave the rest in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making truffles, they're so easy, and everyone loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally don't like things with peanut butter in them, but I'd definitely taste these if you offered :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maren- I don't know if you have access to Better N' Peanut Butter there or not but you could sub it for peanut butter and reduce the calories a bit more. (The consistency is different though so I don't know how that would all pan out measurement wise) Better N' Peanut Butter tastes like Bit O' Honey to me and has half the calories of peanut butter so I'm totally addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will fwd this recipe to mom, she loves truffles. I just finished baking the chocolate crinkle cookies. Wow!!!! They are delicious. Of course I ate too many but I have enough left over for tomorrow's work function. The husband enjoyed them as well "they do not taste like only 80 calories". :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fizz- So glad you liked the crinkle cookies! From how easy they are to how few calories (given the alternatives), those babies are gems! They get better with age too. That and some nutella frosting in between but you didn't hear that from me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I'm totally making these..for real!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this idea! My husband is a Puppy Chow addict, but I can't make it because I'll pig out on it. But I've had that Fiber One 80-cal cereal in my pantry for a while (I don't like it) so maybe this will make it edible! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...