Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 6: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

I don't even know how I stumbled upon this recipe but it was so easy I had to try it to see if it was true.  This is a case of they get better with age.  They turn from this fudgy, dense cookie to an almost marshmallowy texture after a few days.  These would be perfect for sandwich ends of a whoopie pie.  The look of them is so unique that people will think you're a fancy pants but you're not, you're just 10 kinds of awesome.  I gave my mom the recipe last week and they loved them so much they're now going to be a regular in the cookie rotation.  My family doesn't add new cookies to the usuals so this should tell you how great they are!

They're also not a calorie drain either.  It feels like you're cheating but you're not, as long as you can have one and be satisfied.  I'll take this 80 calories over my 80 calorie sugar free pudding during the holiday season.  I'll admit, these little buggers can be tricky to make due to the stickiness of the dough and you may be tempted to spackle that crack in the basement with it but they taste so dang good and look so pretty when they're done, you don't care about a little irritation in the prep process.  You can always wet your cookie scoop with cold water before scooping into the sugar to help make a smooth transition.  I know that's what I'm doing next time.  They last and stay pillow soft for as long as you want to keep them around.  Perfect for gift giving!


Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

1 box Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 tub Cool Whip Lite (8 oz)
1 egg
1/4 c powdered sugar (only 1 tbsp will stick to cookies, if that)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour cake mix in a large bowl, add thawed cool whip and egg. Combine thoroughly. Dough will be very sticky.

Put powdered sugar in a small bowl. Use a small cookie scoop and drop dough into powdered sugar and toss to coat then shake off excess in a colander.

Place on a silpat or ungreased cookie sheet 2" apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes. Allow to cool on sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Makes 32 cookies

Nutritional Information per cookie:  Calories 80  Total Fat 2g  Sat Fat 1g  Cholesterol 6g  Sodium 141mg  Potassium 45mg  Total Carbs 16g  Sugars 8g  Protein 1g

Adapted from: Food.com

====================
Don't miss another 12 Days of Treats recipe! Subscribe via email and get them delivered to your inbox!

11 comments:

  1. This is the kind of recipe I can handle! Minimal ingredients, maximum taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O That looks so great. 80kcal per cookie really isn't bad either! I've forwarded this recipe to my mother in law.. finger's crossed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. seems easy and delicious! I think I'll give it a go.. thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously--just those four ingredients, and that reasonable a calorie count?! I am SO making these with my daughter this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, that seems easy enough! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Within moments of pinning the picture and link on my board in Pinterest, a half dozen other people pinned it from me--hope that means you get some new subscribers when they click the link to get to the recipe itself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys, these are seriously some of the best cookies ever and I made a few into whoopie pies with nutella frosting. OMG, sinful! (But fit into the calories! heehee)

    Denise- Thanks so much for pinning me! (Ooh that sounded dir-tay) I did see a little traffic from there and noted that you've been pinning my recipes to refer back to. I appreciate that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE these--so nostalgic for me. My grandma made these every Christmas (and other times too) and I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Love the simple chocolate light recipe. Will be making these Wednesday night for the office goody day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know, I don't like chocolate, these with lemon, strawberry, or spice cake mix. SO good!! Your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these things. Great warm from the oven or even after a few days stored in a container and I can attest to the nutella frosting whoopie pie version being awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...