Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 12: ChocoRolo Cookies

I've saved the best (in my opinion) for last my lovelies.  I see recipes that dump everything but the kitchen sink into a cookie dough and I'm sure it's wonderful but I like more simple and deep flavors to focus on.  Call me a baking simpleton but I like my taste buds to be overwhelmed with 2 or 3 really great flavors, this is my new current favorite.


These ChocoRolo Cookies are amazing especially when they're about 3-4 minutes out of the oven and not molten lava inside.  They're gooey, chocolaty and pillowy soft.  These are cookies that I could totally snarf down in 10 minutes all by myself.  They're so rich that they could easily double as dopamine discs for the hubby to throw at you in a fit of PMS.  But for now make some for yourself and share with friends and family who will think you're a rock star.

ChocoRolo Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups Trader Joe's Unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
38 Rolos

Preheat oven to 350.

In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a bowl or stand up mixer, cream butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture until dough comes together.

With a cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto a silpat or non stick cookie sheet. Push a Rolo into the middle of the dough ball. Run a butter knife under cold water and cover the Rolo with the surrounding dough, sealing it inside.

Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Makes 38 cookies. (3 dozen plus two "test" cookies.  Heh heh)

Just a note:  I did try a version of this using Splenda and while it significantly reduced the calories, it was also very dry and not something I would recommend.  Darn.

Nutritional Information per cookie:  Calories 135  Total Fat 7g  Sat Fat 3g  Mono Fat 1g  Cholesterol 23mg  Sodium 72mg  Potassium 28mg  Total Carbs 19g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 11g  Protein 2g  Vitamin A- 3%  Calcium- 1%  Iron 3%

Adapted from: http://picky-palate.com/

I hope you guys have enjoyed the 12 Days of Treats recipe countdown.  I found baking to be very calming and there was no better feeling that dropping batches off to the nursing home down the street who had a very appreciative staff and residents.  It's a great way to try recipes without having it hang around the house.

So I challenge everyone to bake your favorite cookies, whether ones I've posted or your favorites and drop them off to your local nursing homes especially the ones that are underfunded.  They appreciate it the most.

If you'd like a PDF of all of the recipes, click here.

Merry Christmas y'all!

====================
Don't miss another 12 Days of Treats recipe! Subscribe via email and get them delivered to your inbox!

7 comments:

  1. I love chocolate and caramel. Rolos have been added to tomorrow's shopping list. Thanks for the 12 days of easy, different and tasty cookie recipes. I have enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing you delightful recipes with us : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just started following your journey -- keep up the great work!
    www.runningdivamom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annual Cookie Day (a most special day that we look forward to allllll year long!) is this Saturday. I can.not.wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a favorite of many co-workers and I will say it was by far my favorite cookie when it was still melty and warm. Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had Rolos in a long, long time. This sounds SO good--thanks for sharing the recipes, I'm looking forward to making pretty much all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the 12 day cookie countdown--great fun! I have made a few of them and a few from other places I spied this year. Mom is coming tomorrow to help finish up all the goodies so we can parcel them out to the neighbors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...