Friday, May 6, 2011

Versus


We are pretty level headed about the things we choose in our diets.  We don't jump on the latest uber food unless we feel it can provide a true benefit to the lifestyle we're choosing.  If we don't like it, we're not going to choke it down for the sake of being on the bandwagon.  Often times people blindly follow the trends because someone they know is eating a certain food or saw a TV doctor recommended it but fail to really research it before doing so.  I'm guilty of it too.  I have bought brown rice more times than I care to admit; regular and instant.  No matter how many different ways I've tried to make it or how many things I've added to it, I just hate brown rice.  I'll eat other whole wheat / grain products like whole wheat pasta instead of white, whole wheat bread instead of white and stuff like that but brown rice, nope, can't do it.  Does that make me a bad healthy girl?  Nope.  Matter of fact, let's compare the two:

Brown Rice

¼ cup serving
160 calories
Fat 2g

Carbs 35g

Fiber 2g

Protein 4g
White Rice
1/4 cup serving
Carbs 33g
Fiber 1g
Protein 3g

Okay so the supposed healthier rice while it has 1 extra gram of fiber and protein has 10 more calories per serving, fat where the white doesn't and 2g more carbs.  I know that replacing white rice with brown rice can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 16% but I don't have it (I check my blood sugar) and I can count on one and a half hands how many times a year I have rice so I'm gonna have steamed white rice and enjoy it with my Bragg's Liquid Aminos in lieu of soy sauce and I'm not going to feel guilty about it just because the diet industry tells me I should.  Read your labels and decide for yourself what inspires you and if a healthier option isn't for you then work it in when you can, guilt free.
====================
Don't want to miss another post? Make sure you subscribe!

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the rice thing. I don't like brown rice except for brown basmati (I have no idea why that one I like) but I don't eat a ton of rice so I am ok with it. Even if I did I really don't see it as big of an issue as it is made out to be. Remember when eggs were evil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that I never liked brown rice until I got a rice cooker - from then on, I didn't mind it as much.

    For the record, I'd always choose white over brown for taste preferences, but if I'm making rice and roasted veggies for the week, the brown tends to stay more firm for me instead of going mushy after a while in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like wild rice, so that's what I usually fix. I don't know how that stacks up against the others, but I'm sure it isn't hugely different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! You cannot even imagine how happy this makes me. I PREACH daily that NOTHING (absolutely NOTHING) is off limits. If you like a certain food, include it....IN MODERATION. And if it's not the healthiest, do your best to eat healthy the rest of the day. I want to enjoy life. I want my patients to enjoy life. And if that means including pizza occasionally (and it certainly does for me!), then, by all means, DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear, hear! Three cheers for YOU. It is said of New Orleanians and Cajuns (two very different critters, by the way) that we wake up and put on a pot of rice, then decide what we're going to cook with it. lol That's hardly true, but when I DO have rice, I can't gag down brown rice. Well, I can, but I won't. I don't like the taste nor the texture. I love your thoroughness of fact gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! No more feeling guilty white rice people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!- I LIKE brown rice, I really do!! But, there are lots and lots of "healthy" things that don't have a place in my diet :). Life is too short to eat what you don't like :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, don't like brown rice. I'm not really a fan of whole wheat pasta, either, as it has an odd aftertaste to me. I cry to curb my white pasta choices, but white rice is the way I'll go every time. I've tried different types, different ways of cooking and not matter what the outcome of the meal, I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post!!! It's always a good reminder that eating in moderation is best. There's no point eating a food, or doing an exercise, that you don't want just because *someone* says you should. :-)

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...